Forums Latest Members

Selling through Forums vs. Crown/Caliber etc.

1. Suburban Diver Sep 6, 2017

For a new seller, is the work and risk selling through forum worth the additional money over using a company like Crown/Caliber, Bernard Watch Co. etc.

Any forums or methods better to sell than others?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 7, 2017

Honestly depends on the forum and the watch. This is a good one to buy from as the forum requires 200 real posts before you can sell. Others have little to no pre screening of sellers. As for realized profit... depends on the piece. A crappy over polished redial will do better on eBay. An original vintage piece with patina will do better on a forum.

A newer piece is more of a set price so eBay or a forum will get you just under crown and caliber price, but you make more money selling yourself as a large dealer will buy it from you well under market so they can make a profit.

Kmart, MikiJ, Wryfox and 2 others like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 7, 2017

Depends largely on the watch. New - Vintage - Speedmaster - expensive brand.
    Certain places for each.

As above here is quiet safe as any shenanigans will be picked up quickly ;)

MikiJ and Foo2rama like this.
  4. panaitchrono Sep 7, 2017

Which is the risk selling on forum?..and the work?..maybe buying can be a little risky...

5. ConElPueblo Sep 7, 2017

If you are a "seller", you should go to a sales site.

If you are an "enthusiast" or "collector", you should stay here.

noelekal, Wryfox and Davidt like this.
  6. Suburban Diver Sep 7, 2017

I guess I made the assumption there was inherent risks with payment/shipment/fraud that are limited when selling to a company outlined below. I haven't made any sales through the forums, so I can't speak from experience, but maybe risks I outlined aren't an issue with regular forum users.

Rodmar likes this.
  7. Suburban Diver Sep 8, 2017

Ok, point taken. I in no way intend to be a "seller". My question was geared to my developing tastes, which often times change my stance on a particular watch and a desire to sell/trade for a new piece. It appears that the forum is the place to do that. Just need to figure out how to get to 200 posts!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. kov Trüffelschwein. Sep 8, 2017

Take your time to read though different threads / don't hesitate to participate and share your opinion or observations with others. It's an interesting game and if you like what you do, you might get above 200 posts way faster than you now imagine. 200 posts shouldn't be the goal but a consequence ;)

ConElPueblo and mikechi22 like this.
  9. Shailor Sep 8, 2017

Getting to 200 is easy. Figuring out how to afford all the watches for sale will take a little work.

noelekal and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. IDXM Sep 8, 2017

This is so true. I've spent tens thousands on watches I've fallen in love with on the sales forum. Well at least in my imagination. Sigh.

ConElPueblo and Shailor like this.