Forums Latest Members
  1. calalum Feb 23, 2016

I had to chuckle when I saw a watch for sale that didn't sell right away, so it was bumped up. Common, I know. And the bump also had a bumped price, although the bump was a price increase, not a decrease. I guess that in this frenzied market if a piece doesn't sell at its asking price and a few days or weeks pass, the value must be increasing.

I also have had some back channel communications asking if I would sell a certain watch and asking me for a price. When the response was given I was told that the same watch could be had for a lower price on a different site. Well, I suggested, head on over there.

Other funnies? We need some levity here today.

2. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2016

I've seen plenty of sellers raise their price on eBay after a watch didn't sell. When I contacted them, they must have mistook my sarcasm for genuine interest and replied that I should have bought it at the lower price. ::screwloose::

I could tell you eBay stories of sheer seller stupidity for hours. One of my favorites was a dealer in Texas who I called about an AP with an obvious redial. Long story short: he was pricing it as original and I told him I would have to send it to AP to have it corrected, to which he replied that I was nuts. Well, I spent my $2400 the very next day on a correct original version which I still have today. Probably saved me a grand at least NOT sending the redial in for service and a correct dial. My only regret is that I didn't call the putz and tell him that he lost out on a fistful of money. :D

3. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Feb 23, 2016

Years ago NY City garbage department was on strike and appliance stores had broken washer, dryers, refrigerators lining the street. They could not get them picked up. Some genius decided to put price stickers on them. Guess what they were stolen over night.

I remembered this when flipping a house. I had two old tires I put out at the street knowing the garbage truck would not pick them up. But was hoping some passerby could use them. Next morning, someone had put two more on top. Now I had a stack of four.

After a couple of days, they were still there. I then put a $50 sign on them and they were stolen over night.

Another time I had an antique couch that needed fixing up. I listed it on Craigslist for free. After several weeks of no bites, I listed it for $75 and the phone started ringing!

4. uvalaw2005 Feb 24, 2016

You don't see it much on this forum, but I also enjoy the sellers who have had the same watch listed for years, literally years, and just keep bumping it without a price reduction, new photos, any visible effort at all. It's like, wake up, the market is talking to you!

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 24, 2016

Placed a add for metal garden edging FREE ( was still around the garden ) had a guy come and look and asked when I was pulling it out.
    Said it's free if you do it. Rocked up next day with he's son and removed it all for me.

Sold a rusty boat trailer at 11:45PM to a few pissed guys (sober guy had to stay with car and boat) after they broke a axle in the Main Street in town and were blocking traffic. Police car dropped them off and towed trailer back into town for them

Sold a vacuum cleaner full of dog hair and rubbish (misses said you got to empty it ) said no they are 30 minutes early they can have the dog hair. I then vacuumed the carport to show the bloke it worked.

Misses still shakes her head as she tells the garden edge story.

Edited Feb 24, 2016
    Impondering likes this.
  6. smitty190373 Feb 24, 2016

The don bezel I was looking at last week (on offer at $900) is now $1100. After contacting the seller the +20% overnight increase is due to yesterdays Ed White sale price on Ebay, even though it didn't sell all last week at the original price.

7. glownyc Feb 24, 2016

Had a similar experience. Years ago I ordered a $200 computer desk and they shipped me two and charged me $400. The company wouldn't take it back and insisted I had ordered two. I Filed a credit card claim and the refunded my the full $400. I called the credit card company and they said don't worry about it. I thought I should pass the good karma around and put the second desk on Craigslist for free. I got a couple of replies but they were all no shows when it came time to pick it up.

Impondering likes this.
  8. Perseus Feb 24, 2016

The tire story reminds me of an art gallery that was having problems with people touching the paintings. They put up the "please don't touch the paintings" sign and that didn't work. One guy got smart and put up a sign that said something like "You must wash your hands after touching the paintings." Problem solved.

Syrte and demollo like this.
  9. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Feb 25, 2016

The tire story reminds me of an art gallery that was having problems with people touching the paintings. They put up the "please don't touch the paintings" sign and that didn't work. One guy got smart and put up a sign that said something like "You must wash your hands after touching the paintings." Problem solved.

-
    I love creative thinking!

That is funny.

10. GregH Feb 25, 2016

We have similar stories when we were emptying out my grandfather's house; people would stop to look at the furniture we had in the front yard, then drive off when they saw that free items and not a yard sale !?!

One guy who actually did take some free furniture, asked me to help load his vehicle, which I happily obliged. But he was surprised and actually irritated when I said no to his offer to drive me to his house so I could help him unload his car ! I bit my tongue and did not tell him that he wouldn't afford my delivery fees.

11. uvalaw2005 Feb 25, 2016

Every year my town has a day where you can put whatever household items you want to get rid of out on the curb and the city will drive around and collect it. Old mattresses, window screens, etc. etc. It is absolutey amazing to see the stuff people take for themselves before the city comes around, starting quite early in the morning with their pick-up trucks. I would love to know where it all ends up.

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 25, 2016

I once stole some broken refrigerators that had a price tag on them, using a rusty trailer bought while drunk. Was nearly arrested when one of my $12.50 tires went flat on the way home.

After unloading, I flopped on my cheap antique couch and nearly choked on the dog hair I'd earlier cleaned out of my new-to-me vacuum cleaner. Thankfully, after coughing up a hairball, made a full recovery.

Could have all been avoided if I had been able to sell my re-dialed AP to raise funds for proper new stuff instead.

tpatta, Huus and Modest_Proposal like this.
  13. Huus Feb 26, 2016

Yep, blame the squirrel.

Darlinboy likes this.