Forums Latest Members
  1. Muddlerminnow Dec 1, 2018

I'm very new here and as part of the process of finding my footing focusing on mostly one watch model--Constellations--looking at dozens of threads devoted to them, and hundreds of ads on eBay (and also sold and completed listings)--and dealerships too. There is one thing that has me totally stumped: ads that do not include a picture (or pictures) of the movement. I can understand that an individual or small shop that specializes in selling Rutabagas might not have proper tools for opening backs--but when a dealer with many hundreds of sales says "Please note that we do not have the right tools to open the movement for a photo," I'm gobsmacked. They don't have the tools to open a $1500 watch? Do they really expect us to believe that? Or are they just lazy or worse? --as they seem to assume we won't be opening them also?

mm

Edited Dec 1, 2018
    STANDY, Spacefruit, gdupree and 3 others like this.
  2. connieseamaster Dec 1, 2018

Run away. Run far, far away

3. dan7800 Dec 2, 2018

Kind of like a huge used car dealer saying that they cannot open the hood to show you the engine, but TRUST them that it looks great!

4. Muddlerminnow Dec 2, 2018

Thanks, guys--. I see how their strategy works--on watches that are good, they show the movement--but for the others they wait for the right--what's that word Barnum used?--begins with an "s"?--to come along, and judging by the market, where everyone wants a deal too good to be true, they are getting just that. At least the warning signs are fairly transparent.

Good dealers of vintage fly fishing reels will always show the 'works' (the check and drag mechanisms)--because fly reels, like watches, got tinkered with and edited, and some distinct versions (and production dates) can be determined by what's under the hood. But the vintage tackle market is pretty small in comparison to the global vintage watch market--so rather more funny business shows up in the watch market.

mm

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  5. dan7800 Dec 2, 2018

Buy the seller as much as the watch. I've walked away from deals where I didn't feel comfortable with the person selling the watch.

I've never regretted it.

6. Delroyb Dec 2, 2018

I'd say there is only one exception to this. I recently sold a number of NOS cyma watches. They still had the original protective film on the back in a fragile state, where using a caseback tool would have caused damage. Any other time, a movement shot is a must!

dan7800 likes this.
  7. Edward53 Dec 3, 2018

Some watches require a special tool to open them, eg some of the Seamaster Cosmic range. Opening Seamasters with one-piece cases calls for careful handling and not all sellers want to attempt this. But it shouldn't apply to any Constellations that I've ever heard of.

8. many Dec 3, 2018

I ran into something similar. A guy who sold "many" Rolexes who refused to provide photos of the movement since "nobody had ever" asked for that before. It got to the point where he said he'd refuse to sell me the watch...

dan7800 likes this.
  9. bernarddevos Dec 11, 2018

The seller pretending he is offended. :)
    I know a couple of these. Just stay away.

10. mr_yossarian Dec 11, 2018

So do I. I have made a very special dealer-"friend" in the Netherlands, just by asking for undisclosed flaws, not to mention wrong movements in dozens of his offered Speedies..he was veryvery hurt by my impertinent questions :)

Yes, stay away. I always stop my assesments already when a "professional" Dealer already fails to meet minimum requirements in a description.

11. KingCrouchy Dec 11, 2018

Also don’t buy any Omega that was serviced by a retired Omega watchmaker, or serviced not that long ago (without proof).
    And don’t buy the one with “rare” & “collectors piece” or “unique piece” on a Cal 601 Geneve. And if it has some fancy dial colours and comes from india...stay away.

12. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 11, 2018

Not sure why you wouldn't trust a retired Omega watchmaker - if it's because of the association with service centres ruining vintage restorations, surely it's much easier to state what you want with an individual then a company.

Some watchmakers are old school and their servicing proof is by word-of-mouth and performance of the watch post service. Of course, the term recently serviced on eBay is a mixed bag...

Whether you take it and accept it, or request further details that may or not be provided, a check with your own watchmaker once the watch arrives is always a good idea.

What's wrong with chasing something that is advertised as such? If it really is in terrific condition and a great price (with diligent research) then awesome. Sellers are free to type whatever they want - its the buyer who chooses to be reeled in by the bait or to search for more tastier morsels...

India and South Korea are predominantly known for extreme dial configurations/redials. India less so for Omega in particular, and buying movements from India can actually be a cheap way to acquire parts...

13. dan7800 Dec 11, 2018

Some of the issues are:
    1) What do they mean by "full service" ? I fully serviced your watch by applying some polywatch and I looked at all those gears in the back and they are shiny. Therefore, it is "serviced" and "running strong"
    2) No issues with trusting retired Omega watch makers. However, this forum is full of stories of "experts" and Omega watch makers who turned out to be total morons.
    3) Unless you trust the seller, unless the watch comes with documentation I consider it unserviced.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  14. ac106 Dec 11, 2018

Because there is no retired Omega watchmaker except in the imagination of the seller

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 11, 2018

Absolutely. Because it is bullshit. They never worked for Omega, or if they did they were fired for incompetence. I have a particular dislike for that phrase, I have purchased watches from some of these dealers, there are several UK based sellers who use it and on more than one occasion were junk and ran like junk. It is code for 'I sell unserviced watches I bought at a car boot sale at the weekend"

Edited Dec 11, 2018
    hanky6, KingCrouchy and Davidt like this.
  16. gdupree Dec 11, 2018

+1.

The last watch that I bought which was "serviced by a retired watchmaker" was positively not serviced by anyone competent - and more likely not at all. Good thing I never believed him in the first place... I didn't exactly "buy the seller" on that one, but was confident enough on the watch to take the risk.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 11, 2018

It’s been said before, but this is a classic. He is slightly more drunk than usual

smitty190373 likes this.
  18. dan7800 Dec 11, 2018

Who has a picture of themselves in their office?

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 11, 2018

You watched the video, and that is your question?:)

RawArcher, time flies, STANDY and 2 others like this.
  20. Rochete Dec 11, 2018

Epic.

Drunk? I think he's on coke.