Forums Latest Members
  1. RJ Luby May 22, 2019

Hello,
    I signed up to the forum 2 weeks ago and am impressed with the wealth and depth of knowledge the members have on all things "Omega".
    As I'm a novice, what would the best method to try to sell a 1969 gold Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch? Auction House, online consignment firm, or something else?
    My dad had 2 Omegas. One I wear daily; the Seamaster he purchased in 1963 (possibly earlier) that runs great. It fell (along with him) 64 feet from a construction site in 1964. Miraculously after weeks in hospital and months of rehab, he recovered and worked into his 70's before retiring. The watch fared better as it barely was scratched. He was a master electrician by trade and worked on several of the tallest buildings in Chicago. In 1973 after months of odd-jobs as a kid, I bought my own Seamaster.
    His gold Moonwatch, though gorgeous is honestly a 'museum piece' that I've decided to part with. I keep it locked up at work. I don't have a clue as the best way to sell it and would welcome ideas. Dad had his name engraved on it which obviously would lower the price but I'm more interested in it finding a good home with a collector that appreciates a watch of this caliber. How he obtained the watch (Cartier Jewelers in Chicago) is a rather amusing story I'll share later.
    Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
    RJ in Germany.

2. shishy www.hpmor.com May 22, 2019

sounds like it's auction worthy... but post pictures :eek:

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. Davidt May 22, 2019

A genuine -69 gold Speedmaster, from a novice/private seller would be best sold via one of the big auction houses.

airansun, stahlmotte, felsby and 3 others like this.
  4. connieseamaster May 22, 2019

Dude, you can't tease us and not post pictures. I'd definitely reach out to one of the big auction houses (Phillips, Christie's, Antiquorum, etc)

5. Risto May 22, 2019

But, research about auction houses, before you jump in. Some houses have bad rep and sometimes you won't get your many fast enough.

Evitzee and connieseamaster like this.
  6. Shabbaz May 22, 2019

Best way is to post it here, ask which way it's best to sell, dont read the 200 post rule and wait for the pm's that will soon follow. :D

Eve and merchandiser like this.
  7. Ekonomer-Tuomas May 22, 2019

Please post some pictures! Very curious to see and follow this sale :)

8. redpcar May 22, 2019

Agreed. Pictures or they don't exist :coffee:

merchandiser likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 22, 2019

Cartier signed ba with red bezel?

Sounds like an auction winner.

merchandiser and connieseamaster like this.
  10. RJ Luby May 22, 2019

Hello all,

Thanks for the really good advice. Will try to attach pics again. It didn't seem to work last time. If it doesn't go through now, will try again when I get home in a couple hours. Mixed feelings about parting with it but it stays locked up and honestly if it went to a good 'home', that would be fine. Plus, this is a great forum and I have no plans on leaving it. I usually peak in daily. Enjoy seeing the passion for these watches and there are some great stories I've read about how members acquired certain timepieces.

My mom would be terrified when they'd go out for an evening, etc as she'd say, "someone will cut your arm off for that". Dad never batted an eye. Also attaching pic of his trusty Seamaster - well over 50 years old that I wear daily.
    Cheers.

11. RJ Luby May 22, 2019

Doesn't appear to have uploaded. Will post pics when I get home.

12. JwRosenthal May 22, 2019

There’s two operations for attaching pics, first is to “add photos”, then you “insert photos” once they are uploaded. It’s a common oversight. Also? Pics can’t be too big, iphone size usually load right up

Benbradstock likes this.
  13. RJ Luby May 22, 2019

Thanks JW,
    Hope third time's the charm...if not, will try at home.

14. redpcar May 22, 2019

I can't post pictures from work FWIW.

15. CJpickup57 May 22, 2019

Bookmarking to get update emails ha ha. Excited to see what you have @RJ Luby!

16. 77deluxe May 22, 2019

::popcorn::

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 22, 2019

18. WYO_Watch May 22, 2019

This is the part I’m waiting for ::popcorn:: I love a good story about a solid gold Speedmaster.

As far as everything else goes, there are many opinions on the “best” way to sell a watch. Certain pieces likely need to go to an auction house to open the door to various bidders (although a recent drawer find didn’t fare as well there, potentially due to a requirement they put cash down to bid). For others, a fair offer from a reputable collector is the best route (I recall a similar pickup by @Spacefruit I heard on a time for a pint @tyrantlizardrex).

Whatever you do, don’t rush into it. A watch of this caliber may very well have people running to toss money at you. Take your time, do your homework, and feel comfortable with the exchange and mode of sale.

BatDad, tyrantlizardrex and Foo2rama like this.
  19. Folgono May 22, 2019

Waiting for the pictures. ::popcorn::

DaveK, Peemacgee and Foo2rama like this.
  20. larryganz The cable guy May 22, 2019

If you're not hurting for lack of money, you may want to consider keeping it as a family heirloom, for sentimental reasons.

JwRosenthal likes this.