Forums Latest Members

Selling a number "0000" Limited Edition Speedy

1. repoman Jun 11, 2015

Can't say I've seen this before, an Ebay auction for a #0000 40th Anniversary Apollo XI Speedy Pro
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/351420868055?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This pre-production or demo models are usually marked "not for sale". Can someone comment on the claim in the ad that #0000 watches are sometimes given to Omega insiders as a gift/award.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 11, 2015

3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 11, 2015

I would want confirmation from Omega. I seem to recall that there are service replacements marked 0000. Omega may re-engrave the number but official parts resellers like Ofrei used to carry certain casebacks marked 0000, if I recall correctly.

4. yinzerniner Jun 11, 2015

I've seen these before, and in fact just tried on a 0000 serial number Speedy Pro Silver Snoopy. They are display and/or sample models either given to boutiques or to lucky customers on loan. They are fully operational and specified correctly, but they are not available for sale or warranty, or at least that's what the sales rep told me.
    I'm not sure what they do with these models afterwards but giving them as gifts or awards makes sense since they by their own admission cannot sell them.

TNTwatch likes this.
  5. micampe Jun 11, 2015

Personal opinion from past experiences (not watches): I doubt dealers are allowed to give these away to anyone, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them fell through the cracks over time.

6. repoman Jun 11, 2015

My guess is that this is a franken watch of some kind, perhaps just the caseback, or a slip-through-the-cracks pre-production unit. I doubt any company in the world would allow pre-production units to be given away as gifts. Pre-production means exactly that - they are not factory spec and almost always have unserviceable unique characteristics, or things that were improved upon in the final production run. In my business, we do keep pre-production units around for testing and lab work, but they are not serviceable so as soon as they break we dispose of them, and of course, they are never for sale.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2015

I've seen a few of these, a Gemini 4 was sold a while back, another was available through a dealer and there's a Soyuz Meteorite locally thats a 0000, thing is there are more than one 0000, so you're not buying a one off its just one of several. The Gemini 4 for example we know there are at least 3 that there are pictures of with 0000, so probably more.

8. yinzerniner Jun 11, 2015

As I said in my post the Omega rep specifically told me that the 0000 units are preproduction samples BUT fully working models, it's just that they aren't for retail sale. Especially for a model like the Speedy Pro which doesn't use a different movement of any other components that would really affect the usability in the long term.
    It's not like these are preproduction concept cars with fake suspension, faux lights and non-connected electronics.

9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2015

I know the seller personally and i also know the watch is 1000% Legit. The only downside is these never came with a box and the coin etc.

I so nearly bought his Gemini 4 which was 0000/2005

Andy K likes this.
  10. bill5959 Jun 11, 2015

I've seen it differently for what its worth. At NYC, Omega was showing off the Snoopy watch and it was just plain "0". They wouldn't sell it to me. ::screwloose:: It apparently goes in the Museum.

11. yinzerniner Jun 11, 2015

Yup, that was the same one I tried on a few weeks ago! I couldn't remember the exact text but I remember it didn't have a serial number.

12. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 11, 2015

So if one ordered an extract from Omega for the serial from the movement, I wonder how Omega would respond? Would they deny its existence? Would the extract mention it was pre production? Or would it simply just say it is for a 311.30.42.30.01.002. Not insinuating anything, just genuinely curious.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 11, 2015

mmm.

So a watch that is never supposed to be released to the public, now on sale, is 1000% legit?

I am not sure how. At some point it left Omegas hands - when by all accounts "zero" watches are not supposed to.

I would have to know how it left Omega to be able to say that.

And I am quite ready to accept a plausible explanation - I just cant see it yet

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2015

Being 0000 doesn't mean ultra rare prototype or special by any means they're not that uncommon, its more like "We need to use one of these LEs for this marketing purpose but its not worth losing X sales of the actual LE so we'll call this one an out of sequence 0000". It could easily go to someone like a brand ambassador or an area marketing guy who they don't care too much about getting it back from.

Although it isn't a LE, my SS Daytona is actually a bit weird like this as it was never bought but rather assigned to a specific person by Rolex and rather than having an AD stamp it was issued by RSC Melbourne and has a mysterious invalid number on the punch papers where the country code should be.

DLT222 likes this.
  15. ctime3 Jun 11, 2015

I agree 100 percent with Repo

16. flyingout Jun 11, 2015

What would Omega's response be if this were sent to them for service?

17. yinzerniner Jun 11, 2015

If you agree with him then you'd be wrong.
    To expand on what dsio said above, they can only officially issue a certain amount of limited edition pieces. BUT, they need to show off the limited edition pieces at fairs, shows, boutiques, etc. So, they create working models but don't give them official serial numbers because if they used a real, serial numbered model that was later sold to a customer how would the purchaser feel if their model has been ogled, handled and otherwise used by thousands of people before they took ownership?

TNTwatch, Nobel Prize and DLT222 like this.
  18. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2015

The Gemini 4 was sent to Omega service and an email was sent to omega they confirmed the watch was a legitimate 'demo' watch and it was actually sold through a reputable auction house before being sold by the seller on eBay who verified it before sale. The documentation went with the watch.

The case has no case number, the movement worked but i cannot remember if it had a serial or not. I saw the G IV in person as i nearly bought it - reason for not buying, no box and papers obviously.

Anyone who wants info on it i suggest you drop Ron a message on ebay.

19. BadAndy Jun 11, 2015

My concern would be in the way that it left Omega's ownership. If it was sold at auction, or given to the dealer to be allowed to be sold, or whatever, I would want documentation from Omega saying so.

There is a chance that it was not authorized for re-sale, and if so, then the buyer would be in receipt of stolen goods, and would have to surrender it to authorities upon receipt of such evidence. They would be out the amount paid. That would be my concern.

20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2015

The Gemini was 100% documented. Knowing Ron he wouldn't put himself or a prospective buyer in the 'shit' he is a good guy.

I cannot answer fully for this one but I knew he had it as he sent me a message showing me it a while ago.