Forums Latest Members

Sellers - Why some sellers refuse to share part or all of the serial number?

1. MMariotti Dec 11, 2018

Hey all,

Sorry for perhaps the dumb question, but why do people do not share serial number before purchase? It's such a vital part of information. I am sincerely puzzled.

Does anyone know?

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2018

Urban myth.

3. Edward53 Dec 11, 2018

It's so that con artists can't report a watch stolen then pretend to notice it on your listing.

MMariotti and eugeneandresson like this.
  4. KingCrouchy Dec 11, 2018

So that fakes can’t be made with genuine serial numbers. But I don’t see the risk on most vintage Omegas.

MMariotti and eugeneandresson like this.
  5. MMariotti Dec 11, 2018

Surely you can make up a serial number after 30 seconds research on the internet

Njnjcfp88, KingCrouchy and ac106 like this.
  6. MMariotti Dec 11, 2018

I could see that, but if you don't give the last 3 digits you are safe from this, surely.

gdupree likes this.
  7. simonsays Dec 11, 2018

I think it is mainly paranoia. Watch collectors paranoia! If the collective do it we follow like sheep! I don't think knowing the serial number of a watch gets you any closer to recovering it. Some proof of ownership would be required to corroborate your claim and Omega don't have any stolen register. I guess if the watch was expensive enough someone could engrave a bridge to match and duplicate your extract of the archives?
    The only real reason that makes sense is that it keeps the watch fresh to market, not traceable across the net as being passed from pillar to post.

8. ac106 Dec 11, 2018

No one has ever had a watch they legitimately purchased taken away from them by the watch police because they posted the serial number and a con artist used that maliciously to craft a scam.

If someone has an apocryphal story they heard online or through a 3rd hand source I am not interested in hearing about it. Until I see a researched and cited story where this happened I refuse to believe it ever did

AND

if by some reason there is a single instance where it did, it still does not justify the level of paranoia! It's like not leaving your house because someone was killed by an meteor in Siberian in 1926

Njnjcfp88, Dan S, MMariotti and 2 others like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 11, 2018

For the most part, people do it because they see others do it. IMO there's really no reason for it.

10. simonsays Dec 11, 2018

I guess it makes more sense with other brands such as Rolex. The serial number on the case rather than movement. The cases are often faked and you wouldn't want the counterfeiters to choose your serial number as a template.

11. MMariotti Dec 11, 2018

The more I search the more I realise that the sellers who are very reserved about the serial have no idea what they are talking about. A professional seller will tell you the whole serial number minus two or three digits. I really think it's just plain paranoia,considering that after a couple of emails they reveal it to you anyway. It's so pointless

12. Edward53 Dec 11, 2018

You are indeed. Whether or not posting the whole thing actually renders you vulnerable, I have no idea but that is neverthless one of, if not the, main reason(s) why people refrain from doing it.

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 11, 2018

Worrying about possibly inconsequential minutiae is why we are all here in the first place!

My wife rips our name and address off of discarded mail even though we are posted in the phone book.
    (She's not looking at the moment) I think she might be crazy!

Njnjcfp88 and apsm100 like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 11, 2018

Jim, look more carefully she's only ripping your name off...........:whistling:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Njnjcfp88, Vitezi and UncleBuck like this.