Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 13, 2013

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 13, 2013

Great lesson to list as straight auction and let it run to the end if you are ignorant of an item's value. I am always fascinated by ignorant sellers who post Buy-It-Now listings for watches which of which they do not know the value. It's true that most are posted at ridiculously inflated prices, but some are ridiculously undervalued. Similarly, why would an ignorant seller accept an offer to end the auction early? Would the buyer be making it if he wasn't trying to short-circuit the auction to win below market value?

3. ulackfocus Sep 13, 2013

Possibly. I offered a seller $1800 for an 18ct Seamaster a few years back after getting a concensus opinion on it's correctness. The only caveat was he would have to accept $800 down and the other $1000 in 7 to 10 days (or less) when my bonus check came and had time to clear. The seller's reply was, among other brash statements, "Why would I wait? It's MY MONEY!" which I thought was not only rude but foolish. It isn't his money until he's been paid and it isn't guaranteed to sell for that. If he had countered with up to $2200 I would have agreed. Instead, I walked away because he was so abrput. The final selling price was $1200-ish. 6 days later I showed him the Audemars Piguet I spent $2400 on and asked him how much he enjoyed losing at least $600! Funny, but he didn't reply.

There are a few other stories along similar lines, but this one fits the question perfectly and I happen to remember the details. I can still see the picture of that watch...... should have saved a few from the listing along with the seller's name.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 13, 2013

I would agree. eBAY is an "efficient market", so by just posting as much information as known and clear pictures - will likely earn the seller the market value of the item. When sellers agree to end early it is typically to the advantage of the buyer.

5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 13, 2013

this one is a strange one......the dial does not seem to be the thick amag. dial with the luminous wells. the markers are printed on. try to find that dial as a spare.......shaved back or an entirely different watch with a railmaster case..... excerpt from the factory would shed light into the movement number / reference correlation. kind regards. achim

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 13, 2013

My take on it was similar. Probably a 2914 with a worn down back. The dial was either repainted many times, or not original.
    They way is see it the main obstacle would be to find a correct period dial.

7. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 14, 2013

The movement # does correspond to a Railmaster 2914-1 series.
    The dial printing is not original in any way. Alignments of numbers and markers way off.
    Also, the dial Numbers should not be lumed.
    Crown is wrong.
    Rehaut is wrong.
    Lead anti magnetic movement cover is gone.
    Basket case.

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. michael e Still learning. Sep 15, 2013

I though 153xxxxx was correct for the 2914-1.
    The dial can be sourced given time, same with the crown and amag cover,.
    I would not call it a basket case more of a watch needing a bit of TLC.
    cheers Mick

9. michael e Still learning. Sep 15, 2013

I always though the 2914-1 didn't have a seahorse on the back, didn't that appear only from 2914-2 upwards?
    Cheers Mick

10. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 15, 2013

I said movt. # was was correct for 2914-1; reread post(unedited from original).

11. sohail Sep 15, 2013

Who overbid me on this one..."

12. sohail Sep 15, 2013

I was short by $50. Really sorry to miss it. it was absolutely an original ck 2914 Other then the tampered dial. Crown plexi glass dust cover etc are available and can be sourced. The dial is impossible to get even from omega. Whoever got it must be really happy...........

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 15, 2013

I share your opinion fully.

14. michael e Still learning. Sep 15, 2013

Yes you did ;-) apologies for that pitpro. I should have gone to Specsavers.
    Cheers Mick

15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 15, 2013

dial impossible to find. and that`s where the value lies. you can not make dials with luminous wells. anything printed on a normal dial blanc will cut the value in half..... would not want to buy this one here. kind regards. achim