Forums Latest Members
  1. aap Sep 3, 2019

Hi friends. Just wanted to seek your advice. I bought a chrono from a seller a few weeks ago. Upon receiving it, I found out that 1) the crystal was cracked and more importantly 2) the chrono was defective - the watch stops after a couple of hours when you leave the chrono running.

Today, my watchmaker quoted me approx USD 165 to fix the chrono and replace the crack.

After telling the seller, this was his (unedited) reply:

“I mean i sold the watch like unknow service history, not like serviced. So i think if i pay the crystal replace and 50% of the service is fair, what do you think?”

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Just to add, the watchmaker did say that the start / stop lever is damaged.

Edited Sep 3, 2019
  2. WhereMadnessLies Sep 3, 2019

I'd need to see what was in the advert before I could make a judgement. That said unless I really trust a seller, I always assume a service will be required for any vintage watch I purchase regardless of what is said in the advert.

3. WatchCor Sep 3, 2019

I have to agree with @WhereMadnessLies. I always ask about service and assume/include a service cost to my purchase if it has not been recently serviced.

But then again my suggested course action depend on what the original advert claimed/was

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 3, 2019

More than fair. I’d also comment that $165 is a very low price to fix a chronograph. Even if a watch is running when it is packed, the rigors of shipment can change that. I always assume that a watch is going to need a service especially when the seller sells as is which is the case here.

5. KingCrouchy Sep 3, 2019

It really depends on what was written in the advert. If a Watch is advertised as unserviced I expect to have to pay for service.But in this case we need more Informations to make a judgement.

6. JwRosenthal Sep 3, 2019

Knowing what the watch is and the terms of the sale as mentioned above would help us judge, but frankly- $165 is ridiculously cheap to serviced any chronograph ( is this a quartz?) and the fact that the seller is willing to split the cost speaks well if them. As said before, always assume a watch needs service and may lose time or hang up (chrono) unless they specify that is has been serviced and can show paperwork.

kkt likes this.
  7. sdre Sep 3, 2019

I think if it was advertised as serviced then its not, then i would assume the seller to bare all costs. However if this wasn't advertised, i would think it to be a fair offer of him to make it 50% of service costs.

8. mayankyadav Sep 3, 2019

I think its a generous offer from the seller..

jeppehh, Joe_A, wristpirate and 5 others like this.
  9. aap Sep 3, 2019

Hi guys, the seller said it was unserviced. But keep in mind that the watch stops. Is that just a matter of servicing? The watchmaker did say that the start / stop lever is damaged.

10. WatchCor Sep 3, 2019

Yeah, it depends on the wording of the original ad.

But I would recommend you quickly accept his offer he threw your way.

11. rkman11 Sep 3, 2019

If it was advertised as unserviced, the offer from the seller to split 50% sounds fair.Honestly, I’ve had this happen to me and the seller refused to throw in a dime for the additional cost. I think you’re in pretty good shape.

FlyingSnoopy, Mark020, aap and 2 others like this.
  12. JwRosenthal Sep 3, 2019

You got lucky-he didn’t have to give you a dime and could have just said to return it for a refund...which you could. But frankly even an old cheap Chronograph Swiss would be a bargain to fix at $165... take the offer and thank him for being a stand-up guy

KingCrouchy, Syrte, Shabbaz and 2 others like this.
  13. aap Sep 3, 2019

Thanks for the inputs guys!

larryganz likes this.
  14. rkman11 Sep 3, 2019

I should add, the watch I bought was advertised as newly serviced, and still not an offer to cover a penny...

15. JwRosenthal Sep 3, 2019

I would have left negative feedback on that guy

rkman11, Larry S and aap like this.
  16. new_heuer Sep 3, 2019

I also think the sellers offer of 50/50 is very fair. What is the watch?

17. wristpirate Sep 3, 2019

Even if it was working well when he packed it, there's the possibility of damage during transit considering some vintage watches are fairly old and delicate. I think the sellers offer of splitting the repair costs is pretty fair.

18. WatchCor Sep 3, 2019

Agreed, every thread can be improved with watch pics. Show us the watch please::popcorn::

DaveK, kkt and JwRosenthal like this.
  19. FlyingSnoopy Sep 3, 2019

I also think that s offer is fair...
    Cheers

20. cchen Sep 3, 2019

More than fair.