Forums Latest Members
  1. drworm Aug 31, 2015

Hi,
    I recently receive a couple vintage omega in working condition, but cosmetically used.
    New to the world of watches, but with a fair experience in servicing other "devise"(camera& glasses) I'm tempted to attempt to "service them".

Now I know that the best way to run into trouble is to proceed head's on and think later, I would like to know if there are a few do and don't with watches service, tools NOT to use ..

2. wsfarrell Aug 31, 2015

You can polish plastic crystals with Polywatch and polish metal parts with the polish of your choice (I like Mothers Mag). Best to do metal polishing by hand, so as not to soften any of the bevels/facets on the watch. You can polish metal bracelets with 3M sanding sponges (for satin) and a power buffer (for bright), after taping off the appropriate parts. An ultrasonic cleaner is handy after you polish a bracelet.

3. alfanator Aug 31, 2015

Generally stay away from power tools.

UncleBuck likes this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 31, 2015

Do's and Don'ts, that's easy!

Don't!

boat2dan, Fritz, AAAKK and 2 others like this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 31, 2015

Seriously, Brother ( or Sister, worms are hermaphrodites),
    You have a 1 in 3 to a 1 in 5 chance of doing good.
    That means 66-80% chance you'll do more harm than good.
    I would only attempt if I considered it ruined and was looking at a redial/replacement anyway.
    Not being negative, just realistic.

Edited Aug 31, 2015
    STANDY, Fritz and Pvt-Public like this.
  6. Pvt-Public Aug 31, 2015

Just about perfectly describes my odds with the pocket watches I tinker with.

Cortezthekiller and UncleBuck like this.
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 31, 2015

Edit screw-up (which you can't do with watches!)

Edited Aug 31, 2015
    TexOmega likes this.
  8. drworm Sep 1, 2015

I totally see your point, and that's the reason why I tried to show some humility in my question. You are right most of the time self repair attempt will ruin the object or jeopardize posterior attempt made by trained people.
    I know my limit in terms of tiny mechanical part dis-assembly , watch are a new level of of tiny for me me, I wont try at this point, to do mechanical dis assembly work on those especially considering they are functional.

My inquiry is related to cosmetic level .. for ex. it has been advised to use polywatch and not to use powertool (dremell for ex).
    I was just willing to go as far as removing the "watch" from its case to clean and polish the case...

I have silly question like: the glass is rotating , it is meant to do so ? If not what's the proper way to fix it.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 1, 2015

Think I have mentioned before

Pull a motorbike apart with tweezers and a loupe twice in a weekend and if it starts and gets you to work Monday, drop the watch off at the watchmakers during lunch.

Really, buy a cheap automatic pull it apart and see what you think with basic tools before you go all in and spend heaps on tools.

lando likes this.
  10. Pvt-Public Sep 1, 2015

Oh yes.........yes I can. And some would say I screw things up quite well.

11. watchlovr Sep 1, 2015

If the watch is not too valuable and you stay away from power tools, you should be ok.

Edit. Assuming you really do mean only cosmetic work

12. kleungsf Sep 3, 2015

If the glass is rotating, something is loose. I would suggest a trip to a professional. Cleaning the watch case and detaching the bracelet for cleaning is one thing. Opening the case and taking out the movement is a whole separate level of complexity. It would be the difference between detailing a car versus hoisting out the engine from the car.

13. watchlovr Sep 3, 2015

It depends on the watch really, the classic Speedster must be the easiest watch I've seen to drop out the movement, remove the crown, tap ....and its out!