Forums Latest Members

Selecting a watchmaker for service

1. mackguy Jan 7, 2016

I have an ongoing conundrum.
    I have a Speedmaster Date that is ready for some service, and I can never come to a decision on where to go for it. There's several very reputable places to send it, including the obvious Archer, or Omega Service Center. Omega is expensive, and I've heard some concerns with their NJ shop anyway. Archer I've heard spectacular things about and the price is right, but this involves the added expense of shipping to Canada and several month lead time.

I'd love to find a local contact, but don't seem to find any useful info on the locals I've come across, and for me the $5-700 service is not pocket change so I'd like to get good value.

I have talked to one of the local people who is CW21, and claims familiarity with the 7750 type movement that my watch has. His "starting price" is competitive with Archer, and saves me the cost and uncertainty of shipping but adds the uncertainty of not having good references. He does claim to have an Omega account for parts, but I have no idea how to verify that?

I just located another watchmaker who's CW21, who is apparently employed by a Omega dealer, and indicates 7750 specific training and SWATCH service provider certification on the AWCI website, I'm going to contact him for a cost estimate as well.

Just a general question for others, is it worth the slight risk of going with an "unknown" local to be able to start a good relationship for future service? Is the CW21 etc certification a good indicator that they know what they're doing?

Or am I better off to just deal with the known good service, but have extra waiting time, and shipping cost/uncertainty?

My previous service was done through an Omega dealer, and shipped to Omega service center by them. I was happy with the service, but would like to bring the cost down from Omega's standard $750.

2. italy1861 Jan 7, 2016

There's a lot of good watchmakers out there. Maybe you should send him a cheaper watch to service and see if you like the result. If not, move on.

3. ikeo1 Jan 7, 2016

This is your conundrum. I posted about my experience with Swatch/Omega service in the past. It's very difficult to find reputable people. If its an older omega, you wouldn't want to use service since they'll replace parts. The benefit is you get 2 years warranty, but you pay for it. It's bad but I sent a watch to another watch maker for service, they messed up my dial. There's only so many watchmakers you can "try". At least if Omega messes up they'll fix it, w.o trying to hide it since they have all the parts. Good luck making your choice.

Scroll down for my omega service experience.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/newbie-lesson-learned.18234/

4. mackguy Jan 7, 2016

Well my understanding is Omega service sort of "socializes" the pricing such that a watch that needs a minor tune up is charged the same as a watch that needs a full overhaul. Versus independents who charge actual cost for labor and parts for an individual job.

Part of the question is, is there any way I can verify that a WM has an Omega parts account when they claim to? I assume a maker associated with an AD would be subject to a higher level of critique, but probably also comes with a higher cost.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 7, 2016

You should be able to ask Omega via their contact form on their web site. I did this to confirm a service center at an AD was certified and able to do work on cal.321 movements.