Forums Latest Members

Seitz Jeweling Tool - Question

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 31, 2019

I'm removing some broken jewels from a plate and when I went to change pushers the one I'd just used was stuck tight in the spindle and I couldn't pull it out with my finger nails. It was fully in up to the red line.

SeitzPushers.JPG

I had to go to the garage and use alloy soft jaws in my bench vice to get it out.
    I assume the hole with the ? is to prevent air from pressurising in the spindle and stopping a vacuum when removing the pusher.

Any secret tips for preventing this or is there a tool that can be used as a pusher extractor that won't mark the pusher or spindle?

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 1, 2019

Forgot to tag a few experts for their guidance.

@Archer @Canuck @ChrisN @AriTheWatchmaker

Thanks in advance for any mysterious secret men's business.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 1, 2019

I've never had this happen on mine, so I don't have any tips for you. Was there any sort of burr or surface damage on the pusher?

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 2, 2019

Thanks anyway Al. I checked and the pusher is in perfect condition. I measured the one that stuck and it's 4.02mm ø whereas some of the others are 4.0mm. It might just be a slight enough difference to cause it to stick. I made a leather soft jaw to use with parallel jaw pliers for the next time.