Forums Latest Members
  1. Ludi Feb 17, 2013

Hello there,

I'm not a Seiko lover generally, even if I recall this is an important brand in the watch history.

However, I make some exception from time to time... well, for aesthetics reason if this case :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

This watch is supposed to be the first Seiko diver ever: "Prior to the 1964 Tokyo Olympics (with Seiko as Official Timer), Seiko had introduced its first range of truly submersible sport watches with internal rotating countdown bezels in the form of the Seikomatic 50m (1962) and the Sportsmatic 30m (1964). These sports divers were the immediate precursors to Seiko (and Japans) first professional diver comprising 150m depth capability, shockproofing, extreme legibility and an external timing bezel, the 62MAS (1965). (from the 6217 Buyers Guide)."

Mine is from 1963, and was no cheap back in these years: around 11.000 yens

Mouvement is a Seiko 603 20 jewels, serviced recently by the excellent Richard Askham

[​IMG]

I've sourced an original Seiko branded BOR bracelet to fit in (cheaper, but far more difficult to find than an Omega... )

[​IMG]

After 1964, Seiko produced a cheaper Silver Wave, Sportmatic version, with plastic inner bezel instead of bakelite, 17 jewels caliber (66SW), 30m waterproof, etc... but quite pleasant anyway. Retail price was around 8.000 yens then.

Mine is from 1965

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not so common (especially in black dial), I find them interesting.... and I must say I'll be happy to find a nice 5719 one button chronograph from the same era to join them... some time or another I mean ;)

Hope you enjoyed it.

Best - Fred

peter-g and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  2. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2013

Cool! :thumbsup: Seiko had some cool dials - the Alpinist (?) is another that comes to mind.