Forums Latest Members

Seiko SARB Modding - Opinions Sought

1. SC1 May 3, 2023

My wife has a Seiko SARB 035 that she no longer has the love for so, and after just receiving an email yesterday about it oddly enough, am thinking about modding it with an Uncle Seiko SARB mod kit. Didn't even know such things existed but now that I do I am kinda intrigued.

Not sure if I'd go for the fluted bezel but I am very much leaning into the crystal w/cyclops.

The Opinions Sought part-

what exactly would I be undertaking here if I decided to do this myself?
    Also, what tools would I need?

I'm assuming I have to remove the caseback, the stem & crown, the movement and then the stock crystal -- then put in the new crystal, gasket, movement, CB gasket and caseback.
    I have an assortment of screwdrivers and pin pushers for bracelet resizing and that's about it so I know I'd be purchasing some things beyond the modding kit to accomplish this but I'm not opposed to it either.

Anyone ever done this as rank amateur - any opinions appreciated.

**Here's the link for the US kit...

https://unclestraps.com/products/crystal-bezel-modding-parts-seiko-sarb03x

2. Aroxx Sets his watch May 3, 2023

I saw that email too. The SarbJust looks good. Funny, just this afternoon I got the idea back in my head to start trying to learn some watchmaking. Ordered a couple books and started hunting for movements. Give me like 5 years and maybe I can help you out.

SC1 likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 3, 2023

You will need a case opener, crystal press, tweezers, silicone grease...

SC1 likes this.
  4. SC1 May 3, 2023

Yeah, it's tempting - at first it struck me that it would be like putting M badges on a Honda (@Watch my Whisky ;-) ) but then it hit me: if I avoid the fluted bezel (which I would - not a fan) and just use the cyclops crystal I:
    A) Can see the date window better with my 59 year old eyeballs
    B) Can have super hot chicks with Botox injections and heavily altered breasteses think I am sporting a Rawlexx at the bar at Cracker Barrel while I'm waiting to be seated... and then later that evening, before I bed them down in my private suite at Holiday Inn Express, tell them I swapped crystals myself and am sorta like a seriously good amateur watchmaker.

Win/Win

Bruce235 and Watch my Whisky like this.
  5. SC1 May 3, 2023

was the "... " because I need more tools or was it more of "... and skills, which you ain't got bro"?
    ;-)

6. Watch my Whisky May 3, 2023

Ya got me!

SC1 likes this.
  7. redpcar May 3, 2023

To add some visual because I have no idea what a SARB 035 looks like.
    Before
    upload_2023-5-3_19-57-18.png

After

upload_2023-5-3_19-57-56.png

I like :)

Walrus and SC1 like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 3, 2023

More like that was all that came to mind when I wrote the post. :D

Scarecrow Boat, STANDY and SC1 like this.
  9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 3, 2023

redpcar posts the before and after photos which serve to educate me on the model and the mods, only causing me to realize that I find the original styling much more charming.

I confess that I have never developed a fondness for either fluted bezels or cyclops.

SC1 likes this.
  10. Aroxx Sets his watch May 4, 2023

Maybe I’ve got it wrong in my brain but to me the cyclops is a Rolex thing. Any time I see a modern cyclops it just seems like it’s trying to be a Rolex. Which is exactly the case here lol. In the vintage world I think it was fair game but I still don’t like it. I know logically this doesn’t make much sense. But it’s just like, my opinion man.

Maybe check out the Watch Repair Talk forum for more digging. I just joined there yesterday.

upload_2023-5-4_7-36-4.gif

11. SC1 May 4, 2023

So which is it -- you do or don't like it?

12. Aroxx Sets his watch May 4, 2023

Both haha. I think it makes the Seiko look better. But it's clearly copying Rolex. When I see a cyclops I immediately think, "ohhhh Rolex". Then when it's not I feel let down. I don't like feeling let down. Still looks good though lol.

Late Edit: Also, when I said "I don't like it" I was referring to some vintage stuff. For example, I don't like when a C-case has a cyclops and I would replace the crystal if I got one. I'm all over the map on this one.

Edited May 4, 2023
  13. JwRosenthal May 4, 2023

I actually can’t shit on Rolex for this one- they apparently did patent the date cyclops (at least external) in 1954- so they can take credit for it.
    But I actually do find them helpful reading the date. Most of my watches with date are useless for my eyes without reading glasses or staring at them in bright light.

14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 4, 2023

My real issue II s that deep down I just don't appreciate the date feature itself. I don't consult it if I wear a watch that has a date feature. I think the date feature detracts from an otherwise stylish and appealing dial. I only set day/date features because they are there. It's an OCD thing.

I sure don't want a blob on the dial lending magnification to the date window. If a cyclops ever showed up with a new watch acquisition, my first thought would be to take out my pocket knife and pare the protruberance from the crystal.

I know. I have no taste.

Spruce and fiberguy like this.
  15. Spruce Sunburst dial fan May 4, 2023

I agree generally, although not that you have no taste, particularly in old wristwatches.

But, and more specifically, I can’t abide those cyclops crystals. You can never see the date by glancing at the dial, you have to twist your wrist to get the focus right. I always get them replaced.

That said, I quite like a date window. I got used to them when I worked and the only problem I have with them now is that if I haven’t worn the watch in a while, my subliminal OCD obliges me to set the date as well as the time

noelekal likes this.
  16. Pip May 9, 2023

I love my SARB035 so I would consider updating the wife... ;)

SC1 likes this.