Forums Latest Members

Seiko & Orient...what’s the quick & dirty?

1. mikechi22 Jan 20, 2018

I’ve gleaned that these two brands are related, correct? Is Orient the lesser of the two? I want to pick up a mechanical watch for my younger brother while I’m in Tokyo next month. This would be a first for him and not looking to spend a fortune, but I might try to find him a vintage watch, maybe his birth year, 1978. He won’t wear a dress watch, so I’m thinking dive style or chronograph. Any recommendations from those in the know?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 20, 2018

Orient is owned by Seiko and operates completely separately. One of the top sellers in Japan. While Orient does not make high end pieces like Seiko they are not a lessor or cheap sub brand, just different.

Great pieces you can see their current line up on their website.

The easiest would be the Seiko Diver from 1978. You can quickly google which was the reference for that period and determine pricing and what to look for. I believe it was the 6139 Diver in 78.

Edited Jan 20, 2018
    George.A and mikechi22 like this.
  3. asrnj77 Jan 20, 2018

Not sure of your budget but a cool vintage Seiko diver would be a nice gift from Japan. Try a 6139-6002 or any 6139 model. Might be able to find them for under $300

mikechi22 likes this.
  4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 20, 2018

I think things may have changed insofar as Orient as an independent corporate entity has been dissolved and Orient is now a brand name used by the Seiko Epson Corporation. Or at least that's my take on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient_Watch

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 20, 2018

They share no parts, separate marketing departments. I think it’s pretty independent. Orient is still making new in house movements. They recently upgraded the base movements 2 years ago.

Uniqez likes this.
  6. mikechi22 Jan 20, 2018

Hey guys, thanks for the super helpful advice! I’ll definiteky check out the 6139. I was leaning toward getting an Orient because it’s not very common in Green Bay, WI, but if I can find his birth year Seiko for $300, then that will settle it!

Interesting that Seiko and Epson are married...wonder if that will last?!?

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 20, 2018

Probably last longer than some of our marriages.

Looneytoons and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 20, 2018

Yep, it's probably a change in corporate structure rather than a change in policy and direction. I based my post on the Wiki article, plus if you look, the Orient website is now "Copyright © 2018 Seiko Epson Corporation. All rights reserved" They still represent good value, in fact I have an Orient Blue Mako for holiday beater duties :)

On a sidenote, though I think most of us agree that Seiko/Orient produce many generally well-regarded, value for money watches, remember, they also have Lorus ::puke::

mikechi22 and Foo2rama like this.
  9. strick9 Jan 22, 2018

skx007 or 009 diver would be a great first watch

1.jpg
  10. mikechi22 Jan 22, 2018

Beautiful watch and I think my brother would like it and wear it.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 23, 2018

I’ve got 3 people into watches with SKX’s.

Nathan1967, isaac.owen.nz and Uniqez like this.
  12. redzer007 Jan 23, 2018

actually bought one of each in the last week. I had a itch for PVD diver, and initially went for a Orient Ray Raven II - Automatic hacking movement. Bracelet on this is the weak link, but as I intend to put it on the Zulu not really an issue. Managed to bag one for $160. In typical fashion when I was looking for a PVD diver and just after I had purchased the Orient I came across the Seiko LE black series. I have had a couple of Seiko overs the years but never a Turtle so had to have the Black Series Turtle.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Orient_AA02003B_Ray_Raven_II_Dive_Watch_p/aa02003b.htm
    https://www.seiko-prospex.com/sea/srpc49k1

still waiting on both to be delivered, will probably flip the Orient, as the Seiko is the more classic style - who knows may end up keeping both.

13. Uniqez Jan 23, 2018

Man, you simply can't go wrong with it. I think SKX is a must have watch for any collection/collector. On the other hand, Orient are good watches as well. Bought my first mechanical watch way back in college and it was an Orient Sea King... Nowadays, still have it...

George.A likes this.
  14. strick9 Jan 24, 2018

its a great diver I got the 007 with 5 Nato straps for 190.00 lots deals out there is the other reason that and they don't break

15. isaac.owen.nz Feb 1, 2018

Its my most commented on watch as well despite being the cheapest and most common haha shows what different things watch fans and not see!

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. rcs914 Feb 1, 2018

Back when an Orient Mako cost $75 new they were a good deal, but a the same price as a SKX007 they don't really compare. I will say that this is based on the old Mako that had the ridiculous pusher to change the date, not the new Mako.

17. Engi Feb 6, 2018

Orient makes also nice and elegant watches

18. mikechi22 Feb 6, 2018

I like the aesthetics of the Orient watches and they are quite rare in the wilds of Wisconsin, so one could make a nice gift for my brother. But, I’m gleaning that Seiko has better quality and durability, so I’m leaning in that direction now. In Tokyo in a week, so decision day looms!

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 6, 2018

Depends on what you mean...

At the 300 price point and lower I think the Orients are finished a hair better. Orient has stepped up the movement with hacking and I believe manual winding though.

The 40mm Bambino are excellent at the price point and they just released a new small second Bambino that makes me want to sell mine.

Really the Bambino is better then most options at3x the price.

20. mikechi22 Feb 6, 2018

Interesting additional info! That $300 range is where I’d like to be, so maybe I’ll give them a closer look. The Bambino is probably too dressy for my younger brother though...if I’m thinking of the correct model.