Forums Latest Members

Seiko One Button Chronograph - Lume issues?

1. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 28, 2016

Recently I've become interested collecting Seikos. A local Seiko collector showed me one of his watches and this model similar to his has popped up on the bay.

$_3 (4).JPG

As far as I can tell, and comparing to others, the watch is in rather nice condition. The only issues that stand out are (what I think) the relumed markers and hands, as well as the fused bezel (which probably needs a new spring or replacement.)

Would the asking bid of $499 be worth it? Or should I wait for a better example?

smitty190373 and Jwit like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 28, 2016

I'm not sure that it has been re-lumed. Do an image search, and you'll find similarly preserved lume on many examples.

As to price, it sounds about right if the case back and movement are in good enough condition. The values on these have escalated markedly since the chronograph craze took off.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2016

What makes you think it's relumed? I've got a 68 Seiko that still takes a charge and glows and it's original as other identical watches exhibit the same.

As for price I think in a year you might be kicking yourself if you pass based on Seiko trajectories.

4. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 28, 2016

Thanks for the responses, when I said they looked relumed they just look...so pristine! Admittedly, my watch collecting experience is now just under a year, so I've mainly seen watches with relume, old lume, but nothing quite like this where the lume is preserved.

I will definitely be putting in a conservative bid closer to the auction close and see how my luck holds out. Thank you for the advice once again!

5. S.Song Dec 28, 2016

Nice watch and I think 499 is a good price. Imo a great quality watch at a very low price point- pusher feels good to use and despite simple, a column wheel movement nonetheles

My non lume says hi!

IMG_4355.JPG

6. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 29, 2016

Put in a $570 bid that was beat by a $580 bid a second before mine. Ah well :/ will be on the lookout again, thanks again for the advice guys!

7. aap Dec 29, 2016

8. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 29, 2016

Ouch...I missed out on the one I posted earlier, although the hunt is definitely on now!

Have a safe and merry New Years everybody :)

aap likes this.
  9. U5512 Dec 30, 2016

WOW.....very nice Seiko chronograph watch there!!!

10. eeki Dec 31, 2016

I would also say the watch in OP is in ok condition, I quite like the patina as it is. You can find nicer examples, but they will cost more money. Happy hunting! :)

One note though - as you might have noticed browsing auctions, be it eBay or Yahoo Japan etc., it will be very difficult to find nice replacement parts, such as dials, but especially the bakelite (?) bezels. So if you want one just like in the OP, I would advise against getting a cheaper one with bad bezel thinking you could replace it later.

My 5717-8990 says hi as well - eddieskl's very nice example makes me want to touch up the bezel with some black paint:
    IMG_5465.JPG

11. S.Song Jan 11, 2017

Nice! Ours would be the 6239/6262/6265 version with steel bezel ;)

12. S.Song Jan 11, 2017

Thank you! A serious sleeper....!

13. GuiltyBoomerang Mar 1, 2018

Sooooo after a year and a bit, this one popped up as a BIN, and the price was too good to resist:

s-l400.jpg

5717-8990, silver bezel with some ink, maybe some scratches on the glass, some patina developing, and serial on caseback dates to September 64. It should be coming in a few weeks, and appears to be relatively unpolished. Fingers crossed!

smitty190373 likes this.