Forums Latest Members

Seiko M158 5009 at the thrift shop

1. McKinley Oct 27, 2017

Hello all. I wasn't sure where to post this, I hope I have found the right thread. About an hour ago I picked this up at the thrift shop. I am not into quartz or digital watches, but knew older, vintage Seiko's are going up in value. A couple of other times I have bought older Seiko's to put on the bay and help fund my real addiction, vintage mechanical watches. This was so clean, I took a chance that all it needed was a battery. Alas, that wasn't all it needed. The connection looks just as clean. I can't get to my watchmaker until at least Monday. The wait is going to kill me.....does anyone know of something I can try in order to get it to maybe work before then. I did an ebay sold search and was amazed. Maybe I need to broaden my idea of what is a collectible watch. LOL. Thanks in advance for any help on this model. I can add more pics if need be.

McK

20171027_113746.jpg
  2. kippyk Oct 28, 2017

I do like the vintage steel band digitals. They definitely are something to look for at thrift shops.

McKinley likes this.
  3. dx009 Oct 28, 2017

Sometimes you have to short start the movement to get it going...

McKinley likes this.
  4. McKinley Oct 28, 2017

Thank you for that suggestion. I am going to have to google how this is done, but I appreciate the suggestion.

McK

5. Humptymarsbar Oct 29, 2017

Hi. I think the nickname for these are " pan am " as they were JDM and pilots used to buy them. Nice of the time looking watch and can be quite expensive on the bay, I mean for a quartz .
    Good luck with the fix.
    The hump

McKinley likes this.
  6. Pip Nov 2, 2017

That’s a good looking watch, hope you or your guy can resurrect it. If not, a case in that condition is always sought after for people with good movements but battered cases.

McKinley likes this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Nov 2, 2017

That is cool as shit...I would have snapped up in a heartbeat. Congrats

McKinley likes this.
  8. McKinley Nov 2, 2017

I listed this on eBay this a.m. and it sold in about 14 mins. Maybe I was too low and maybe it was just the right price at the right time. Anyway, I now have a little extra vintage Omega money. You know I am looking. LOL

McK

9. Pip Nov 2, 2017

Wish I’d known, would have loved to have made an offer! More pennies towards your next grail though...

McKinley likes this.
  10. McKinley Nov 2, 2017

Sorry, I didn't think I had enough time here to sell anything and wasn't trying to get around that fact either.

Pip likes this.