Forums Latest Members

Seiko Divers SPB051 053 077

1. Davidt Sep 11, 2018

Afyer recently getting my first Seiko diver, an SKX007 I'm currently loving the brand, especially divers/Prospex as they seem to retain much of the tool watch element without evolving into pseudo 'dress watches' like the modern Subs, Seamasters etc (I know dress watch isn't the right term, but I'm sure you get my point).

This has got me looking at the higher end Prospex divers such as the SPB's 051/053/071/077.

These tend to offer upgrades to the basic SKX which houses the 7s26 movement (non hand winding, non hacking), such as the 6r15, which dies have these features, as well as a 50 hr power reserve.

To those members that have any of these models (and possibly an SKX as well), what are your impressions on the finishing, performance etc? How does it compare to the SKX?

Because threads are useless without pics (from Google).

IMG_2690.JPG IMG_2691.PNG

2. Tubber Sep 11, 2018

I would be interested in any replies to this too. The only modernish Seiko diver I have is an MM300 with the 8L35. The SPB051 looks good but I don't like the hands. I have seen a few that have been modded with hands that look like the 62MAS and improves it a lot.

3. gostang9 Sep 11, 2018

Have you seen this thread from @Archer ?

https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-closer-look-at-a-seiko.78250/

I think it answers your question very well...

Davidt likes this.
  4. Sir Alan Sep 11, 2018

I have these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for the money I think these are a well finished watch.

AveConscientia likes this.
  5. Davidt Sep 11, 2018

I remember reading that thread - great post(s) by Al.

I'm more looking at how mid range Seiko compares with low end Seiko though, rather than how it compares to mid range Swiss.

I guess I might just have to buy one to find out;)

6. nbsheeran Sep 14, 2018

I have an SBP053 and an SKX173. The 053 is worn all the time and the 173 sits in the box (but still kept as it is my true beater). The quality difference is much more than the price difference would suggest. The 053 blue dial is amazing in sunlight. The case finishing is better. The coin edge bezel is worlds better. The default silicone strap of the 053 is much nicer than the stiff one of the 173. I have the bracelet for it as well and it is excellent, if a tad chunky due to the raised center links. Very smooth winding action. Hides a lot of its height below the lug line. Drilled lug holes, etc, etc... I can’t say enough good things about it. Easily one of the best <$800 - 1000 watches on the market.

Davidt likes this.