Forums Latest Members
  1. TropicConnie Feb 8, 2021

I haven't seen many mentions on ΩF of the new-ish trio of Alpinist Prospex watches, reference numbers SPB155/7/9. Surprising, since I think they would appeal to a lot of demographics of watch enthusiasts. There's the hint of Explorer styling, and the antique (dare I say 'tropical'?) finishing on the dial and text (not so apparent in my sloppy photography) gives it a real vintage vibe. It's dressy enough to look fine with a suit, and tough enough for some underwater adventures. And of course, it's a Seiko Prospex and comes with the cult following. So whether you're a vintage/sport/dress/Seiko watch fan this collection has something to offer!

As a vintage watch enthusiast I'm a fan of the styling and dial execution, and as an archaeologist I certainly appreciate the generous water resistance without a rotating bezel, which can become dirt traps. My boss wears a 39 mm Explorer and keeps commenting on how nice this Seiko is. I would ask if he wants to swap next time he says something, but spec for spec I think I'd pick this over an Explorer.

It's been on my wrist a week and only deviated by 4 seconds. Pretty decent for a watch rated -15/+25 a day from the factory. I haven't put it down long enough to test the power reserve.

If I had anything to complain about, I wish the bracelet was available on all models, and the numerals could do with some LumiBrite. The 'Seiko Calf' leather strap is lovely and supple, but a little dressier than my needs so for now it's on a sportier strap. I have an aftermarket bracelet on the way.

Any other Baby Alpinist owners/admirers out there?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KeithS, ARTSUMO, thelinendial and 2 others like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 8, 2021

Fume dial!
    Where’s the bezel?

TropicConnie likes this.
  3. TropicConnie Feb 8, 2021

I keep finding myself looking down at that dial, the texture and colour gradient is really striking in different lighting. The lack of a compass bezel and crown is a really nice look, in my opinion! A nice throwback to the earliest Seiko-Laurel Alpinists and a nod to the Rolex Explorer.

thelinendial and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Walrus Feb 8, 2021

I like them but I prefer the original alpanist. What price range are these baby alpanist in?

TropicConnie and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Robert M Feb 8, 2021

I've been wearing mine for a month now. I think it's a fantastic daily wearer. The fume dial is captivating for sure. Here are a couple photos in different light. I wasn't sure I'd like the pin buckle deployment style strap, but it's the best Seiko band I've ever had. The 6R35 movement has a 70 hour power reserve. Mine runs about +12 seconds a day, but hopefully will settle in with time.

I'm also a fan of the vintage Alpinists, so was glad when Seiko dispensed with the rotating bezel. It's my favorite design in the Prospex collection, but two improvements I'd appreciate would be a signed crown, and a solid caseback (like the Explorer) to make the watch a touch thinner.

IMG_0601.jpeg IMG_0610.jpeg IMG_0620.jpeg
    Edited Feb 8, 2021
    ARTSUMO and TropicConnie like this.
  6. RI Omega Fan Feb 8, 2021

Lume shot please, if possible?

7. Borosilikat Feb 8, 2021

What is the build quality like on these ? and is the movement loud at all ?

8. Robert M Feb 8, 2021

Blue lume!

IMG_0614.jpeg
    RI Omega Fan and TropicConnie like this.
  9. Robert M Feb 8, 2021

IMO the build quality is excellent. I really the like the screw-down crown, and the case also has a nice finish.

Rotor sounds smooth, and I can only hear the movement when the watch is pressed directly against my ear.

10. thelinendial Feb 8, 2021

I really like the design too.

Considering getting one myself, but want to see it in person first before deciding.

11. TropicConnie Feb 8, 2021

One of the quietest watches I have owned, granted most of my mechanical watches are vintage and they all come with their own quirks. The winding rotor seems no louder than my ETA based Omega, and quieter than my Miyota Citizen. The tick is quieter than both, although that could be down to the well sealed case. Build quality is very solid, as with all Seikos it punches well above its price tier (retail is US$700/AU$1050). I can find no fault in the case finish and under magnification the contrast between brushed and polished surfaces is as sharp as my Omega Co-Axial which was far more expensive. The movement is perhaps not as nice looking as some roughly equivalent Swiss movements (maybe the Hamilton H10 or Longines L888?) but it functions absolutely fine and as a whole package I'd rather take the functionality of higher water resistance over some perlage or Geneva stripes.

Call me smitten, but rhetorically, what does a Rolex Explorer offer that this doesn't? Other than the name on the dial, accuracy out of the box (which can be adjusted), and perhaps value retention, there's not much I can think of. This beats an Explorer in all functional aspects.

Edited Feb 15, 2021
    Robert M and thelinendial like this.
  12. Robert M Feb 9, 2021

TropicConnie likes this.
  13. TropicConnie Feb 13, 2021

Just an update, it's running a consistent +1 during the day and -1 dial up at night. I usually swap a mechanical watch when they are out by a minute, so I change watches every 4-14 days on average, but by that standard I'll be wearing this the rest of my life. Somebody who adjusts the lowly 6R movements needs a promotion to the Grand Seiko manufactory.

Edited Feb 15, 2021
    Robert M and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Robert M Feb 21, 2021

I started winding mine ten turns each morning to try to improve accuracy, and now it runs +/-2 s/d. I really like this watch :)

TropicConnie likes this.