Forums Latest Members

Seiko 6138-8020 Panda arrived UPDATE

1. Speedmasterfan88 Jul 10, 2017

Hi Folks, just wanted to share my newest addition to the vintage watch rabbit hole in which I fell after signing up here ;).

As with the current increase in vintage omega prices and most of the models I desire getting out of my reach I had to find something new to scratch the itch.
    So I dug into vintage Seiko chronos, did some reading on the history and development of the 6138 movement and took my first plunge.

Today it arrived, and I'm over the moon with joy.

IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1080.JPG IMG_1082.JPG IMG_1094.JPG IMG_1089.JPG

It's all I hoped for and more. Original inner and outer box, and with import papers from Hong Kong to Gatwick dating back to 1974. There is enough gunk and DNA on it to clone the original owner and all of his descendants haha.
    I will send it off to my watchmaker now for a service, clean up and a new crystal.

Have a nice week! I will, for sure after this start ;).

Cheers,

Max

2. ar.parask13 Jul 10, 2017

Max, this is a really great find! To get it with all ta boxes and papers as well is beyond great! Enjoy!

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  3. Stu-Silver Jul 10, 2017

Fantastic watch. Congratulations on a great find, I have a minter too and it's one of my absolute favourites. One of the best Pandas out there and that touch of orange adds so much.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 10, 2017

Heya it's the first automatic chronograph!!
    ::popcorn::

5. ossfm Jul 10, 2017

I'm with you on the Seiko hunting. I've circled back around to them as well. There's a lot of fun to be had there for comparatively less money. Well done and wear it in good fun!

6. Uniqez Jul 10, 2017

Vintage Seikos are starting to go up now. Especially vintage chronos...Somebody offered this one to me about a year or so ago for $200, I've told the guy, that I will pay no more than $120 for it...I was obviously wrong, now kicking myself in the butt, for letting it go by.
    Really cool watch you bought, enjoy it and wear it in the good health.
    IMG_4398.jpg

7. sdre Jul 10, 2017

Jesus, what a find. Do you mind sharing how much did you get for this?

8. aap Jul 10, 2017

Great catch! Congratulations!

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 10, 2017

Nice catch.! Interesting, original and fun to wear.

Enjoy!

10. ConElPueblo Jul 11, 2017

Very nice :thumbsup:

I'm looking a bit into old Seikos as well, they are great value for money and have some great features .

11. Speedmasterfan88 Jul 11, 2017

Thanks guys!

I was initially after the blue dialed Kakume. But it appears out of the 6138 family the panda is the most sought after, so I thought why not go for the big fish first.

As some mentioned Seiko's are on the up side now value wise, and I wanted to catch the Panda before it again reaches levels I'm not willing to pay at the moment.

I was lucky that this one popped up on eBay, the price was quite steep but after a bit of negotiating with the seller we agreed upon a price both sides where happy with.

One really has to do some DD before dipping into vintage seikos. I was used to this from the speedmaster hunt, and albeit there's a lot of information out there on the 6138's I was missing a reliable source like speedmaster101.
    Some of the Info out there is just blatantly wrong.
    Especially when it comes down to dials, as the aftermarket for those is huge with seiko.

When you are looking for a Panda, there are some easy clues what to look out for on the dial to spot original from fake/aftermarket:

1. The O in the AML Seiko Logo is always oval and lays on its side.

2. The "Chronograph Automatic" Text and the Seiko Logo are centered on the left side, draw an imaginative vertical line from the S to the C and A ( think like MOY-Test on some of the connys).

3. the Date surround is silver and the insides of the cutout are painted as well (on most of the aftermarket ones it's just a stamp through the metal).

4. color of the date disk should be an off white, not a bright one.

5. there should be tritium Spots on all hour markers.

6. the hour markers have black (not sure if onyx) stripes on top of them (there is some controversy about that).

7. Concerning the Hands, those should be straight, syringe and not tapering down to the front. The subdial hands should have a visible metal "disks" in the middle where they are mounted. Chrono second hand is square base with orange tip (can be faded heavily, I've seen almost white ones).

8. The dial it self should have a vertical linen pattern.
    The subdials do not have concentric circles! If they do, that's a dead giveaway for an aftermarket dial!

That's all I can think about at the moment, don't hold me accountable for it, it's just what I gathered and what helped me score the example you see above.

Now it's hunting season for the Kakume. JDM non JDM? Tritium or not? Black or Silver hands?
    So much fun with the seikos!

IMG_0332.JPG

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Max

Walrus, inchpincher, ewand and 6 others like this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 11, 2017

Start looking!

JDM if you can, I like the Kanji day symbols. Especially Tuesday :D.

SCFM.JPG

13. Sir Alan Jul 11, 2017

Here's mine

[​IMG]

all original bar the crystal (and gaskets).

Eve, ewand, smitty190373 and 7 others like this.
  14. Speedmasterfan88 Jul 11, 2017

That's beautiful! Can't wait to get a new crystal fitted on mine.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 11, 2017

Actually, that's the cal. 6139. Major differences are no hours register and that the 6138 may be hand wound while the 6139 can't.

IMG_0215.JPG
    gatorcpa

Speedmasterfan88 and Foo2rama like this.
  16. Nathan1967 Jul 12, 2017

Seiko....so many fantastic watches to chose from!

It maybe a radical choice.....it's a Quartz ferchissakes, but I have a 7a28 Yacht Timer on its way to me all the from sunny Californ-i-a! Arrives Friday.

17. ewand Jul 14, 2017

Congratulations! I've got a passive search on for a Panda but haven't stepped up the hunt - thanks for the summary tips further back; that kind of expertise really is well used!

Now, do you think we should have a Seiko sub-forum here on OF? There are a lot of Omega addicts who are already, or are turning into, Seiko fans too :)

Here's the latest obsession on my part - a 6217-7000
    [​IMG]

Tubber, TNTwatch, Sir Alan and 2 others like this.
  18. Stu-Silver Jul 14, 2017

I think Jdm versions have a silver date window surround and tend to have the silver tapered hand with no lume/no lume plots and are badged as Speedtimer. I prefer the black pencil hands, but would be happy with an honest version of either. Aftermarket dials have in recent years become very common and it's difficult to find a decent example these days. The fake dials are often missing the small Seiko text around the bottom of the dial (between 6 and 7) and just look too good to be true for a 40 plus year old watch. I'm also on the hunt for a blue Kakume.

One of the rarest 6138's is the big pilot watch, particularly examples with the original cursor ring. I managed to pick one up a few years ago, so this can be your next challenge!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    TNTwatch and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  19. Speedmasterfan88 Jul 14, 2017

@ewand thanks! Keep on hunting! That watch looks lovely! I leave that for the mods to decide if we need a seiko sub fora. Wouldn't hurt for sure. :).

@Stu-Silver I read somewhere that the non JDM version is considered the superior Kakume because of the lume on the hands and dial, therefore trades for more then the JDM version. Oddly enough I prefer the JDM silver hands and hour markers, and if it trades cheaper, good for me haha.
    Your panda looks superb, I'm also going down he brown leather route strapwise but a bit more sportier. This watch just looks too good on a brown leather strap. And I'm not a big fan of the original bracelet.

I congratulate you on your find, but the pilots watch is not realy my cup of tea. A bit too tachy for my taste.

Up on the list next to the kakume is a jumbo(6138-8302 I think) with the greenish/blue petrol dial variant.

Cheers,

Max

20. Stu-Silver Jul 14, 2017

Glad you like the JDM version more as I don't fancy a head to head on auction! I am finding it hard to find one I'd be happy with so far, but patience is always key. I actually had an absolute mint original in hand at my local market around 6 months ago and was absolutely buzzing until a chap took it out of my hand and informed me he'd just paid the stall holder for it☹️!

Kakume next for me, hopefully both blue and tan versions, then would probably go for the Jumbo too. Black version of tour panda is nice too.