Forums Latest Members

Seen at Atlanta GTG: Rolex, Omega, Nomos, HUH?? Russian Space First!??

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 22, 2016

I got together with a fun group tonight, Red Bar Atlanta (see redbaratl on IG), and saw a few interesting watches...

These guys are young, and are generally focused on more recent releases, although there were some fine vintage Rolexes.

This was my third attendance, and I finally realized that there wasn't much point in bringing 20 of my favorite vintage pieces :eek:, so this is what I brought tonight:

image.jpeg

...and the two on the wrists ;):

image.jpeg

Here's some of the ones I felt compelled to snap photos of at the GTG:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I thought the Nomos Orion was a fabulous watch, and it is now on my radar:

image.jpeg

One of the youngest attendees had this Russian piece that he says is the (edit) first Space Watch, a Sturmanski...

image.jpeg

He actually left it with me to have my watch-maker see if he can get it running better (and maybe replace the crystal :whistling:).

And finally, some parting 'grupo' pics:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited Apr 23, 2016
    ahartfie, 1685, Giff2577 and 8 others like this.
  2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 23, 2016

...and so, to be more precise and from what I just read, the Sturmanski, despite the manufacturer's claims, probably was NOT the watch worn by cosmonaut Gagarin, the first man in space.

It was more likely a Pobeba that he actually wore in that mission; and it can be seen on display in the 'Moscow Museum of Cosmonauts'...

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 23, 2016

Sturmanski was the pilot's issue until 1953, and Gagarin had one apparently, but not during his 'first man in space' mission...

4. JFingers Apr 23, 2016

Cool pics, thanks for sharing! I follow the red bar crew on IG, but I heard it was an invite only group, that you had to know someone to get in...

5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 23, 2016

I believe there is one for almost every city, or, at least send other cities besides Atlanta.

Which city are you in?

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 23, 2016

Red bar in Minneapolis