Forums Latest Members
  1. Hoodlum Jun 17, 2014

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Got this from my uncle it says 14k gold filled but no other marking he said it had a inscription on the back but had it remove and re plated on the case back I can set the date with the crown push pull watch is keeping great time any clue on what year any help would be great Ty . Joe

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 17, 2014

Mid to late 1960s, possibly very early 70s.

3. Hoodlum Jun 17, 2014

Anybody else seem to have any clue as to year ?im new to this whole vintage watch thing . Ty

4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 17, 2014

I believe Omega began using onyx inlays around 1970 ish.

That's a replacement or polished out crown.

seamaster deville would have the hippo thingy before 1975ish (I think they made with and without for some time after). so if it had an inscription as your uncle claims then that helps date the watch. (Unless he referred tothe hippocampus as an inscription?). ?????

those straight lugs with bevel look mid 60's?

bottom line: GatorCPA knows all this stuff cold. He could probably tell u what month it was made just looking at it..

5. Hijak Jun 20, 2014

My guess is that this watch is from the mid to late 60s because of the case style and the date set feature type. Omega used black onyx inlays throughout the 60s possibly even earlier so you can't date the watch according to those. What I can tell you is that Omega started using the "Seamaster De Ville" name in 1963 so it's not older than that. Also because it does not have the Hippocampus on the back my guess is that the case is not swiss made. (Because gold was expensive to import in the 50s & 60s many export Swiss watches had the gold cases made in the destination county) Without seeing the movement serial number it's impossible to be more accurate, the serial number will date the watch to within a year or so.

citizenrich likes this.
  6. Hoodlum Jul 2, 2014

thanks guys for your impute and help i found a local watch repair shop that said he would open the watch replace the crystal with original and original crown and service the watch for $150 i am considering this option just to find out what i really have ! as for the dial he said he has not seen a seamaster de ville with the small indicators between the minute marks anybody no what this dial is called ?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 2, 2014

I wish! :)

These dials are somewhat controversial. Some think they are fake. I don't.

I do think that is could be a service replacement or dealer option. Don't see them too often.

I like it...a lot.

Congratulations!
    gatorcpa

8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 2, 2014

This is is good info

9. Hoodlum Jul 2, 2014

Thanks gator . My guess is if the watch is worth investing $150 into it seams like prices are all over the place on them maybe I should just enjoy wearing it as is ?

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 2, 2014

You're kind of stuck as I see it. The redial absolutely kills the value. As is, it's only worth the value of the movement for parts, maybe $100. So you could wear it until it stops. But then it would cost more to fix than what it would be worth.

The other possibility is to spend the money for the service, which you would likely never recoup. However, if you could find a correct dial for this watch, then the value would increase a bit. Of course, the dial would cost you something.

The right answer is what you feel is the right answer.
    gatorcpa

11. Hoodlum Jul 2, 2014

12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 2, 2014

There's a thread here re: this specific watch.

long story, boring: she wound up buying a nicer (or, just as nice) watch from another member @ half the price.