Forums Latest Members
  1. EL_GEEK Aug 10, 2016

After reading someone else thread on another forum, got me going on again on the search of my Birth year Speedy 145.022-76. I've seen several pieces out there in good conditions and at a price I would be willing to pay. However, I always get confused about the caliber 861 serial numbers corresponding to that year. Yes, I know that Omega did a LOT of building watches with spare parts they had at that time, but still this is all confusing to me and makes my decision even harder.

I've checked many websites, Lunar Oyster, Speedmaster 101, ebay, Omega Forums, Hodinkee, you name it. Although some have similar information, there's discrepancy. Most websites state that the serial number corresponding to the year 76 is 34xxxxx, however there are other websites that says it ranges from 37xx xxxx – 39xx xxxx. Another collector (who said is a Speedy expert) send me a chart from the Omegamania catalog book, so it is somewhat "legit, right?

So according to this official chart from Omega, there where no 861 produced on 1976 , but 1975(39xxxxxx) and 1978 (40xxxxxx) making the 145.022-76 (39xxxxxx) the closest to my birth year, I think. Is this correct?
    Omega Chart.jpg

I am being very pickey about this, but if I am going to spend several thousands on a watch I really want, I want to get this right, don't you agree? I found a 145.022-76 with 39xxxxxx serial number. It is a good condition, price is good, not great, but it comes with a 1 year warranty and I'm hoping I can negotiate a little more.

Any enlightenment from those who know more about it than me will be greatly appreciated.

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 10, 2016

Chart says "Earliest Production Year" not "Only Production Year"

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 10, 2016

39m is valid to be in a -76 case. I own a birth year -76 with a 39m serial. A second -76 with a 39m came up on this site a few weeks back. Both mine and that one had the 74 and early 76 dial variation. Which would show that while the serial is high it points to early production. I believe the one posted recently was confirmed via extract to be a 76 production.

Without an extract it's impossible to know exactly and could be all the way up to 78 production.

I have chosen not to get the extract and be happy with a -76 case and early dial as proof enough of a birth year watch.

Basically if you want a 76 birth year the only way to know for sure is an extract as serial numbers are all over the place.

Speedmaster101.com is considered to have the correct serial number to date chart.

EL_GEEK likes this.