Forums Latest Members

UPDATED: Seeking collection guidance after selling off

1. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 10, 2020

2021 UPDATE: Since the original post I’ve picked up a white Milgauss and a Mark II reissue. Also got a bronze flieger Archimede but I don’t think it’s staying. Sold off the Seiko prospex as I never wore it.

After being relatively wrist-stable for a few years, I received a sizable promotion last year and wanted to mix things up. My first choice being rather unattainable at MSRP (Daytona ceramic), I decided 3 used watches for the price of one is too good to pass up, and at the same time made some room selling off pieces that weren't getting wrist time.

Get: Speedy Pro moonwatch, Grey Side
    Gone: L&H Riccardo blue, Visitor Calligraph, EMG Panda (Seagull) 1963, Longines Panda heritage, Dan Henry 1963 reverse panda
    Notice a theme?

On to the current state of affairs (shamelessly stolen pics):
    [​IMG]

But what's that last piece? A few times had deals lined up for a 3575.20 (moonphase) that fell through for various reasons, mainly my indecision coupled with the right mix of my timing, the watch's service history/condition, and price.

Each has their appeal:
    - Broad arrow moonphase 3575.20: Love the white/cream dial and blued accents. I've always wanted a moonphase, but manual wind is a drawback as it'll be worn in rotation, resetting time, date, and moon every time I leave it in the box a few days. Same with my speedy, but I tend to wind if it's on me, and if not, setting the time is a quick spin.
    - Broad arrow 3551.20: Same great dial color combo, more legible date, and auto convenience...but without the moonphase or white gold bezel.
    - IWC Petit Prince 377714: would replace my Tisell pilot, which I love, but there's no comparison in quality. The complexity and color stands out vs my current pilot, and the combo of day/date/auto begs to be worn often.
    - Mark II reissue: Just discovered this week and I'm smitten. Intriguing case, and the orange under-bezel glow reminds me of what I love most about the Milgauss GV. Add in auto, date, and the racing color scheme and I'm in.

Each comes with doubt:
    Is the Mark II the love child of my Milgauss and Speedy Pro? And thus too similar to each?
    Is the 3551.20 a cop-out without a moonphase and white gold bezel?
    Is the IWC just buying a more expensive version of a genre I already have and seldom wear?
    Is the moonphase going to be worn if I don't have time to set the complications each time I rotate to it?

Step 1: this week I'll seek out the IWC and Mark II in the metal to see how they actually sit on a flat 6.75" wrist. Not an issue for the two broad arrows as I know the case size, but it sure would be great to see them all before deciding. Not always possible with older pieces.

I hope you enjoyed reading through my thoughts, and I'd love to read your input on my collection and the pieces I'm considering. I'm well aware the choice is mine, but I would be remiss to not seek outside info, new perspectives, and the life experiences of others that share the same passion.

Final note: pricing trends on these are fairly stable for the Mark II and IWC, maybe even declining a smidge. The two broad arrows are trending upward in price, but I'm not looking at these as investments. If I choose properly they'll be with me until I'm not with me.

Edited Jul 5, 2021
  2. kip595 Mar 10, 2020

I think I'd opt for the IWC, followed by the non-moonphase broad arrow. That's just my tastes, there's not a 'bad' choice amongst this lot, IMHO. Let us know what you go with!

3. ScubaRawb Mar 11, 2020

the Omega in the bottom left with the Blue face and orange hand. Mostly because it's least like the other watches you currently own colorwise.

that's not necessarily how I always go about picking things..but it does check several boxes that the others do not when it comes to colors. haha

4. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 11, 2020

the bottom left (racing Mark ii) is actually a grey face. [​IMG]

will do! I think that's why it's hard, they're all winners. Wouldn't be sad with a single one.

Spacefruit likes this.
  5. Dan S Mar 11, 2020

None of the above. Hold out for the Daytona if that's what you want. Grey prices seem to be coming down closer to MSRP recently. Or buy a pre-owned model that is a couple of years old.

MTROIS likes this.
  6. bgrisso Mar 11, 2020

You have plenty of modern, I would not add more, instead get some vintage into the mix. A nice chrono plus gold dress watch with moonphase, maybe something along these lines...

_F6F0251_adj.jpg P1020270_adj.jpg
  7. Lostpuppy116 Mar 11, 2020

If purchase must be soon, I would go for the blue dial IWC due to the color of your other watches. Perhaps a blue dial globe master or other blue dial Omega or other similar quality blue dial. No shame in your wrist game, so if you decide to hold out for the Daytona there is no problem with that regardless of color as price may be the determining factor...

8. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 11, 2020

If that becomes a reality - that's spectacular. Do you have any examples? All I've seen has still been north of $23k for a white ceramic. It's been my grail since the basel it was announced. Put myself on "the list" with my local AD the week after basel, but I've only made a handful of purchases from them over the years and as of last check, there's easily over a dozen still ahead of me. The last story I got was, "someone who's been waiting as long as you was up next, and when it came in, my top (literally top, not exaggerating) customer asked for two for his sons for graduation, so he got two and the other guy has to wait longer." I can't imagine what you have to spend to be a jeweler's best customer, and as long as my wife does her jewelry shopping on diamond forums, I can't compete.

Hope this doesn't turn into a "grrrr Rolex" thread, so let's maybe steer away from that talk. :D

I had a fantastic 65 Omega de ville that just did not get wrist time. I'll keep my eyes open for a vintage piece again. But I quite like the idea of a newer piece becoming vintage alongside me as my body does the same.

I could keep looking for a blue dial. But I've curated down to what's above after having a passing interest in over a dozen other alternatives, some blue. No rush to the purchase other than my own impatience. I've been holding off for about 9 months, sometimes it takes a push for me to pull the trigger. Usually my wife provides that push, but as none of these particularly strike her fancy as something to borrow, that push is suspiciously absent...

Edited Mar 11, 2020
  9. MCC Mar 11, 2020

From your list I would go Mark II re issue :thumbsdown:

10. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 11, 2020

Why the :thumbsdown:?

11. Drb477 Mar 11, 2020

I like the IWC, the dial is beautiful and you don't have a blue watch. It's also not a speedmaster and while if you are going to have multiple versions of similar watches you could do much worse than the speedmaster family having some variety is nice. While you have a pilot already, its about the most vanilla version of a pilot there is which personally isn't what floats my boat

I like the moonphase, but I think having a manual wind moonphase would get kind of annoying to keep up with. The non moonphase is nice too, but its too similar to the the grey side for me.

all are nice choices though!

Unfamiliar_Moon likes this.
  12. jsducote Mar 11, 2020

The only one that interests ME is the IWC, but I see the Mark II filling a void in YOUR collection

Unfamiliar_Moon likes this.
  13. MCC Mar 12, 2020

Because I accidentally chose the wrong emoji ::facepalm1:::thumbsup:

14. Lostpuppy116 Mar 12, 2020

The struggle is REAL! I know your pain. I have never used the emoji before. :whistling:

15. MCC Mar 12, 2020

I put it down to my age and general incompetence !

16. MTROIS Mar 12, 2020

Never settle but rather, be patient and go after your grail.
    Whether it is a Daytona or something else, learn on how to be contempt with all you have already.... and keep hunting. Admittedly the best part of the hobby.

watch3s and Dan S like this.
  17. watch3s Mar 17, 2020

You are rather chrono heavy as it is, so I take it you love chronographs. If you have so many pros and cons for so many watches, I dont think your heart is set on any one watch. I wouldn't buy anything but reflect more on your choices.

MTROIS likes this.
  18. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 18, 2020

Lot of great advice here. Virus situation being what it is, I’m being forced to wait it out a bit, as I’d really like to see a Mark II in person.

I am chrono heavy, and am pulled to them. Not going to shy away from that but not locked to it. Have my eyes out for a good moon or gmt.

Sometimes, if I’m this torn it means I shouldn’t pull the trigger. Or wait for the great equalizer to weigh in (wife) as happened in the last two pickups I hesitated. Can you believe I left the store without the speedy in my pic to the left?

A fair price on used at an AD, and I got nervous or something, not sure. In the car she stopped me, “why are we leaving? It’s the moonwatch, box & papers, looks perfect, solid price, warranty, what else are you waiting for?!” Back in and “I’ll take it”...close call as it already had another suitor.

19. watch3s Mar 18, 2020

if you hesitate, it means you really dont want the watch that much. To me, thats how I see it. I have been deciding on a black bay 58 or the omega railmaster's newest offering. This debate has been going on for the better part of a year now. However, for the black bay 58, I have done the book mark test, I have attempted to go to ads to try on (which they never have) and I was finally able to try it on at a rolex collector's dinner the other week and im still iffy. The railmaster, Ive only looked via the internet and never really tried it on. But yesterday, I noticed some one put a 14060M on the chopping block and all consideration has been focused on reacquiring that piece which I foolishly let go some time back as part of a trade. With everything going on atm, buying a watch may not be the most important thing. Don't get me wrong, you have quite a collection as it is at the moment, but take more time to consider as you did say your first choice is a Ceramic Daytona. These other watches may just be place holders it seems.

20. Unfamiliar_Moon Feb 17, 2021

Update: last summer I unexpectedly came across a white Milgauss at a local trusted jeweler that we've patronized for years. Having been foolish enough to pass on a black Daytona years prior, I always check out their used Rolexes.

So, naturally:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bgrisso likes this.