Forums Latest Members
  1. Carleperu Jun 11, 2020

M 84060C89-819E-42D6-B39F-5B4DA5E32490.jpeg I inherited this watch. The face says “Omega, automatic, chronometre, officially certified, constellation.

The face has vertical and horizontal lines that intersect in the middle.

I know that it had to have been made before 1970.

I would appreciate any assistance identifying the model, year and approximate value.

Thank you.

2. Edward53 Jun 11, 2020

From what I can see, you appear to have a mid-50s Omega Constellation case ref 2852 with the 505 movement. It's not possible to be any clearer from one fuzzy photo, but if as at first glance appears all is original and the dial has not been repainted, that is a very collectable watch. I recommend you post clearer pictures of the front, back and crown (= winder).

Don't try wearing it without having it serviced first as dried up lubricants from long ago will cause wear to the movement. It requires work by a skilled watchmaker who understands vintage pieces. That won't be cheap but it's a high-quality watch and well worth it. DON'T send it to Omega whatever you do. If it is a family piece, or if you have any feeling for vintage watches, keep this one if you can. They are not easy to come by and after a little research, you'll realise that this was one of the finest and most attractive watches ever made. Search Desmond Constellation blog for as much information as you can handle.

Now please prove you are not one of those awful drive-by valuation posters by sticking around and showing us some nice photos! :)

connieseamaster, DaveK and UncleBuck like this.
  3. Carleperu Jun 11, 2020

Thank you so much for your prompt and informative answer! I will have my son take clearer photos and post them as you suggest. He will be here tomorrow with his state of the art iPhone.

4. Carleperu Jun 11, 2020

DA7AA801-115F-43F2-B691-0B7EF7BE479D.jpeg F270D77C-A744-4B9D-8C4F-5DA8DCE1F793.jpeg 841BFD4D-9B11-4B1B-BC73-AB06CCD809BC.jpeg

5. Carleperu Jun 11, 2020

I took a stab at taking better pictures. On the back the owner, my uncle, had amateurishly engraved his name and address.

6. Edward53 Jun 11, 2020

Your watch has been "redialled", ie the dial is original but was repainted at some time. This was standard practice if (as often happened) water got inside and stained the dial. It does have a negative effect on value as purist collectors value original dials in good condition, which 60-70 years down the line are a lot scarcer than "redials". It appears original otherwise and is by no means the worst redial I've seen. If it were my family piece I'd have it serviced and leave it as is. Be aware also that the gold cap is beginning to separate from the crown. Hopefully someone can tell you what if anything can be done about that.

7. Carleperu Jun 11, 2020

Thank you so much for all of your assistance and the valuable information and advice. I will definitely find a qualified jeweler and wear it proudly! Do you have Any idea as to what this watch might be worth?

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 11, 2020

In the current condition, with the poor quality redial and the engraving on the back, there is not a lot of value in the marketplace. Maybe $500, maybe less?

Most of the value is going to be in the movement and we don't really know the condition of that.

The highest and best use of this watch is as a remembrance of your uncle.
    gatorcpa

Edward53 likes this.
  9. Carleperu Jun 11, 2020

That makes sense. Thank you so much !