Forums Latest Members
  1. Svabinsky78 Nov 22, 2018

First, I am sorry for posting a new thread. There are probably other threads that have been started already asking for opinion on vintage Omegas sold on Ebay but I have not managed to find them. Instead I accidentally posted to threads that were meant for other inquiries. I apologize.

I would like to purchase a vintage (mechanical - winding) Omega. From what I have read, there are a lot of doctored watches out there, from the dials, to completely frankensteined watches, and people like myself who know very little to none, can easily be fooled. To me the movements and dials look fine, but given my lack of expertise, I decided to post here and ask for an opinion from people who know a lot more than me. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Here are some of the watches that (to me) look nice. I decided to post the links, as it is easier rather than posting 20+ photos:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332845026455Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332809828830Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332721669268Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332809828830Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332705472013Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332753743440Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It appears to be a reputable dealer. He/she does have over 1100 reviews and has a five star rating, but one never knows. Again, thank you in advance for any advice.

2. gdupree Nov 22, 2018

Without going into details on every watch, all appear in various states of over-prepared, and all over priced. Look around in the sales forums here and see what is offered. Just about any example you can find here ought to beat these, IMO.

connieseamaster and Svabinsky78 like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2018

It would be preferable to post fewer watches at a time and to include some pictures for reference.

chronoboy64, Rochete and BenBagbag like this.
  4. Shabbaz Nov 22, 2018

I hate links ...

ebrohman, MCC, chronoboy64 and 5 others like this.
  5. Dan S Nov 22, 2018

Overpriced by 50%, but the 2nd link (which is the same as the 4th link) at least merits a second look. The others aren't worth discussing.

chronoboy64, Svabinsky78 and airansun like this.
  6. airansun In the shuffling madness Nov 22, 2018

Word.

7. Svabinsky78 Nov 22, 2018

I appreciate all the thoughts. So these watches are worth around $300-$400, not the $700-$800? I am posting some photos of the second one. This one with shipping is around $850.

s-l500.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1601.jpg s-l1602.jpg
  8. Shabbaz Nov 22, 2018

You can find these 600's cheaper. Yes.

Svabinsky78 likes this.
  9. Svabinsky78 Nov 22, 2018

It sounds like I should keep away from Ebay and check the marketplace here on the forum from time to time for a watch. Appreciate the thoughts.

JanV and airansun like this.
  10. BenBagbag Nov 22, 2018

Just upload one picture of each watch and put a number and price next to it. That'll usually be enough for the experts here to tell you if the watch is worth beginning to investigate more.

11. Dan S Nov 22, 2018

I think that 600 isn't bad at the right price, the case looks quite sharp and it's pretty clean overall. I would try to stay in the $500-$600 range. That's what I meant by overpriced by 50% ($550 * 1.5 = $825). Sorry I wasn't clear.

But I could be out of touch with the market and others may have a better sense of things.

[Edit: Sorry, I just noticed that the seller indicates a 32.5mm diameter, which would be a deal-breaker for me. I did not read carefully enough originally. I was assuming the usual 34-35mm.]

Edited Nov 22, 2018
    Mossback and Svabinsky78 like this.
  12. ChrisN Nov 22, 2018

From the description: "The watch has had a new date wheel and stem fitted by a retired Omega employee. Everything is in perfect working order."

It's missing a case clamp for a start. Also, look at the condition of the steel parts in the movement (the screws and the big wheels). And, as @Dan S says, this is the best of the bunch...

You can do a lot better for $800+. Are you in USA? If so, watches in Europe are usually much more expensive and you're unlikely to find a bargain over here on eBay.

Regards, Chris

Svabinsky78 likes this.
  13. KingCrouchy Nov 22, 2018

If the watch was done by a retired Omega Watchmaker. More often that not they are bs you

ChrisN, Davidt and Svabinsky78 like this.
  14. Svabinsky78 Nov 22, 2018

Hey Chris. Yeah, I live in CA. I really like the vintage watches from the 50s/60s, in particular the Omegas. I just really like the look of them. I googled vintage Omegas and most of the results were watches listed on Ebay. From what I have been reading on this forum, however, it seems like many, if not most, of the Omegas listed on Ebay (and other vintage watches for that matter) have issues which to a novice like me would not be obvious. I can talk to you about first editions and antiquarian books for days, just because I have been collecting for 20 years+, but when it comes to vintage watches, I am pretty clueless. My concern is, if I spend $800 - $1500 for a vintage watch, I want to make sure that it is right and that I am not spending $1000 for a watch that in reality (with condition issues) is more like in the $300 range.

I know that people have recommended just going through the marketplace on this forum, albeit just from browsing the first 10 pages or so, many of the watches listed for sale are not Omegas and of the Omegas, many are diver watches and more modern ones.

ChrisN likes this.
  15. Dan S Nov 22, 2018

... and simply because it is in the sales forum does not absolve you of doing your due diligence regarding the watch and the seller. Anyone with 200 posts is free to sell a watch in the private sales forum, and the members of OF have only a limited ability to address errors in the listing, and cannot comment on asking prices.

Since you are a collector, you will understand that there are really no short-cuts. Either you will need to develop expertise, find trustworthy people to advise you, or pay-up to buy from a respected dealer.

16. Svabinsky78 Nov 22, 2018

Any recommendations on respected dealers dealing specifically in vintage Omegas?

17. Dan S Nov 22, 2018

Svabinsky78 likes this.
  18. Svabinsky78 Nov 22, 2018

19. Dan S Nov 22, 2018

There is a search function (magnifying glass icon in the header) that you can use to search for feedback on a given seller in the feedback thread. And a seller should be willing to provide references.

Svabinsky78 likes this.
  20. ChrisN Nov 22, 2018

I know nothing about antiquarian books (!) and I'd agree that looking at old watches is a minefield when you start. I'm sure you'd say the same about books:thumbsup:.

Take it slowly but, I'd agree there is not much in the private sales forum at the moment. Plus, still be careful as Dan says. Have a look at the "Likes" and then who is liking a watch - are they long term members with lots of posts? If they are, read their posts and see if they are people whose opinions agree with your thoughts (usually true if they've been here a while). Don't worry if you miss out - there will always be another watch and another seller.

Perhaps best to slake your thirst with something a little cheaper that'll give you some enjoyment and interest. Also, when you've owned that one for a while, your tastes may change or you'll start to be very specific about what you want (for example - must be a bumper movement with waffle dial and stainless fat lug case). Build up to the $1500 watch. I'd look for real evidence of a recent service (pictures or a receipt from a known watchmaker) and a warranty if you're buying from a dealer. You don't want your first watch to give you trouble.

No mercy has a reputation to maintain here so should be sound to deal with although I've never bought from him. The first watch is far cheaper than the second (the second is already above that $1500 budget I think you mentioned - very easy to keep increasing the budget as I know...). The second is a desirable model being a Constellation but bearing in mind what I said above, perhaps not the one to buy now? The first is less desirable but, it's a third of the price.

Like I say, go slow at the start and you'll be far happier in the end.

Cheers, Chris