Forums Latest Members
  1. Shams123 Aug 12, 2019

New to the vintage world and new to the forum as well, so wanted some help to check a Tissot I've been eyeing recently.

I haven't seen too many examples of this model, so not sure if it's a fake or not. Really need help identifying the model, year, authenticity etc. and a price range would also help determine whether it's worth it or not, if possible please.

Thanks in advance!

20190811_093928.jpg
  2. Jonathan40 Aug 12, 2019

So how much is it being offered to you for and what information is stated in the sales ad?
    This information will help the very knowledgeable people on here assist you.
    I have no experience with vintage Tissot but doubt if it would have been faked as it’s not in the style or
    age where producing fakes would be profitable for someone. It does not mean that it could not have been severely messed with inside so a movement photo is a must with a watch of this ones assumed age.

3. Shams123 Aug 12, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. Apologies, should've added more info. The ad said it's a vintage Tissot vintage bumper cal 28.5, 14k gold filled, 33mm excluding crown, early 50s.

Apparently it has a similar movement to the Seamasters from the same era.

No pictures of the movement I'm afraid, but seems to be running properly without much difference.

Here are a few more pics

20190812_171318.jpg 20190812_171326.jpg 20190812_171340.jpg

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 12, 2019

Remember that 33mm is pretty small by today's standards. How much is the seller asking?

5. Shams123 Aug 12, 2019

Yeah, it is pretty small tbh, but its just about ok for my wrist.

The seller is asking for $250.

6. Vitezi Aug 12, 2019

Hi @Shams123 and welcome to the forum. Your watch looks fine. It even has an original crown, which is a good sign that the watch has been cared for over many years. It's a classic Tissot from the late 1940s to early 1950s with a "bumper" automatic. Once you get a peek inside, the serial number on the movement can be used to identify the exact year of production.

You can find similar examples at auction for about $150 so you can maybe bargain the seller a little lower if you're in the mood to do so. Carefully check the gold plating at the edges of the watch case, as this plating can wear away to the base metal.

You will need to service your watch at a vintage watchmaker. At a minimum, the mechanical movement inside your watch will need to be disassembled to check for wear and tear, then cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted. After that, it will make a reliable timepiece for many years.

If you buy the watch, don't forget to come back here to post pictures of it on your wrist. :thumbsup: You can add it these threads on vintage Tissot:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/do-you-like-tissot-many-pics.58233/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-tissot.63179/

Passover and DaveK like this.
  7. Shams123 Aug 12, 2019

Thanks so much @Vitezi for the detailed explanation, makes total sense. Really appreciate it.

Based on your feedback, I definitely feel more comfortable going for it. Will post pics if I am able to get it.

Cheers!!

Vitezi likes this.