Forums Latest Members

Seeking an opinion on a for sale Accutron with Blue Dial

1. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 15, 2019

I blame @Canuck, ;) but I am now completely taken with Accutrons. This one is for sale locally for $100. I have requested better photos and more info on the watch, which is described as running, just needs a new battery :cautious:. From the fabulous photos we have here, can we tell if the watch is a tuning fork accutron (I think they still use that name post-tuning fork). I would bring a fresh battery to see it work before handing over the cash. Many thanks!

accutron 1.jpg accutron 2.jpg accutron 3.jpg

2. Timecollector Jul 15, 2019

That appears to be a Accutron (2182) 218 Tuning fork movement with a day/date window. To say its running but needs a battery is abit of a Red Flag. Whether its worth buying is personal preference. :thumbsup:

DaveK and connieseamaster like this.
  3. connieseamaster Jul 15, 2019

If the seller can't be bothered to spend $5 on a new battery (344), I would treat this watch as a roulette wheel. Spend only as much as you're willing to flush down the toilet.

Edited Jul 15, 2019
    DaveK, Walrus and wagudc like this.
  4. Timecollector Jul 15, 2019

I would only amend that info as 218 movements take the 344 battery. The 214 movements take that 387s or a 394 if you have a spare spacer already available. :thumbsup:

DaveK and connieseamaster like this.
  5. Canuck Jul 15, 2019

It’s a tuning fork model. A warning! Look for the alpha-numeric date code on the back of the watch. The watch you are looking at is a derivative of the original Accutron (crown on the edge of the case). I recommend you tread carefully on any Accuton 218 or derivative with a date code later than N3 (1973). At that time, Bulova was floundering at a time when solid state digital watches were overwhelming the market place! Bulova significantly cheapened the 218 (and about then, discontinued the 214, and your Spaceview). If you end up acquiring say a model 2192 that needs work (see picture), please don’t sent it to me!:)

As to accepting the blame for getting you hooked on Accutron? I accept no blame whatsoever! You’re a big boy now. You lucked out the first time. But make a bad buy or two, and you won’t be enamoured of them any more!

(In case others missed it, you have included an image showing a yeti trundling off into the woods. How cogent is that to your post, one might well ask?) :)

F13BB99F-DC71-4D4C-B37D-F470D84C6838.jpeg

DaveK and Timecollector like this.
  6. Timecollector Jul 15, 2019

After reading Canucks informative additional info I did abit of searching. Here is a pic I found of what appears to be
    your watch and its a 2193 movement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DaveK likes this.
  7. wagudc Jul 15, 2019

Great info about '73 and later models. I am in the market for an Accutron, but am more interested in the 214's. I think the back set is really cool and uniquely Accutron. Any other words of advice on Accutrons?

Also, do you have an opinion on running the 1.5V batteries versus the Accucell batteries that have a built in resistor to drop the voltage to the appropriate 1.3V?

8. Canuck Jul 15, 2019

Many 214 and 228 Accutrons run quite well on a 1.55 volt silver oxide cell. Many that act erratically on the higher voltage can be re-phased to perform well. Once in a while, an Accutron is difficult to get settled down on the higher voltage cell. An Accu-Cell will usually settle those watches down. The components that convert a regular 1.55 volt cell to an Accu-Cell can be re-used by adding a fresh cell, and re-using the rest of the components.

To DaveK,

Listen to what wagudc has to say about the watch. I suspect it has the 2192 movement in it. I have that exact watch with the 2192 movement. The fact it is a crappy performer doesn’t bother me since I dislike the movement, and the watch. I’d suggest you shy away from this one.

DaveK and wagudc like this.
  9. Walrus Jul 15, 2019

I see this “ just needs battery” only local sales in my area. I don’t even bother contacting them. Max is ten bucks for a decent place to change.

DaveK likes this.
  10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 15, 2019

Thank you all! Great input and info all around. I did some digging and also found a common sentiment that the date wheels for these are nearly biodegradable in their reliability. I will pass on this.

And the Yeti, which are rightly called Sasquatch north of the border, by the way. Those crappy watch photos that we too often see remind me of photos of UFO or Bigfoot sightings, so I had to throw that in. Perhaps that was too much for a Monday morning :D

wagudc likes this.
  11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 16, 2019

There are a few great threads on Accutrons on OF. Some were made as spaceviews in factory, some spaceviews were legit conversions by dealers, and someone on eBay has a whack of NOS parts and is making “new” spaceviews - all this will affect price, but not the fun. I imagine there are fakes out there, but I am new to the world or accutron. Accutrons have a great history, and with the railroad, astronaut, spaceview, dress and funky styles, there is a lot to explore! As I have learned, not many qualified service options exist. I got lucky with finding a spaceview that had a service issue early in life, apparently no one knew how to fit it or even put in the battery, so it is nearly new as a result. As always, check here before buying :thumbsup:

wagudc likes this.
  12. wagudc Aug 2, 2019

Any thoughts on the Swiss made 218 movements. Any better or worse than the equivalent USA made movements?