Forums Latest Members
  1. Meanshot Mar 23, 2016

Hello Omega Forums!

I recently purchased a vintage Seamaster Cosmic on eBay which I'm loving but I am having some concerns on its origin. It is my first Omega and first vintage watch so I'm looking to learn a ton from this wonderful community. I've been reading the stickied posts and they have helped immensely but I decided to make a post to hear the opinions from some of you.

I paid $470 USD for this watch that seems to be in great physical condition. I read in the description that the dial has been "restored" and I was okay with that. The crystal seems to be some sort of plastic because it feels different than my sapphire Wenger quartz (not stated in the item description). Finally the leather band is not the original Omega band but I'm fine with that as well.

I understand the movement is the 613 but I have not been able to take the watch to my local guy so he can open the case so we can get a look at the serial number. The movement seems to be in good condition (listing said recently serviced) but I'd love the input from a more experienced crowd. I'll do an update as soon as I get my hands on that number.

I guess what I'm asking is the following: Is the watch in good condition? Hows the redial job? How is the movement? and how did this watch used to look like before?

I understand that this post should have been made BEFORE purchasing, but I've always been a hard learner ;P Thankfully the seller has a 30 day return period (located in South Korea) in case anything comes about.

I appreciate the help from all of you!

Attached are some picture that the seller took of the watch and movement:
    http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages...,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

Finally wrist shot of the watch:
    IMG_9208.jpeg

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 23, 2016

arkstfan likes this.
  3. Meanshot Mar 23, 2016

Thank you for your reply! It indeed looks like the reference number matches mine, but after several pages of google image search it appears this dial was maybe reworked from a white face with gold hands? I couldn't seem to find a black faced cosmic besides the dial with the cross going from 12-6/3-9...

4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 24, 2016

2016-01-17 001.JPG
    I would say that the orange second hand might not be original.

dwndler likes this.
  5. Meanshot Mar 27, 2016

Thank you for the picture, kingsrider! Quick question, are you dial markers silver, gold or white colored?

And if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for that Cosmic, if applicable?

6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 28, 2016

3,6,9,12 indices are silver with black. Others are lume. Minutes and seconds white.
    $375.00 plus $20 shipping. It was a "buy it now" on Ebay. I think I got lucky. One just like it sold recently. Asking was $595, sold to best offer. Condition was almost comparable. It needed a new crystal, which you would think is no biggy, but an Omega crystal is not inexpensive.

7. Meanshot Mar 31, 2016

Very nice price!

So I ended up returning the watch to the seller for a full refund. I really enjoyed the watch but the originality of the watch worried me a bit. I have much to learn but I won't stop looking for a vintage piece :p I appreciate everyone's help!

8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 31, 2016

Don't give up!. It is a treasure hunt. Also, Cosmics are a great place to start looking. It is just a matter of finding the one that call s to you. I would suggest you look at the Geneve line too. Many interesting shapes and variations out there. About the same price range.

9. cimo Mar 31, 2016

I think the cosmic is a great value for what you get. They haven't taken off quite as much as other Omega vintage lines, but they house a wide variety of calibers and styles. They come in manual, automatic, and use a unishell waterproof case (some would see this as a drawback, I happen to like them). Good luck on your search!

10. chronos Mar 31, 2016

I don't mean to be rude, but isn't your dial a redial? I thought the factory-made crosshairs had to be through all the words...

11. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 31, 2016

I cannot say with 100% certainty that mine is not a redial, although under a loop, the lume and other indicators seem to indicate that it is original. With regards to the crosshairs/reticle, the Omega website indicates that Cosmics of the case reference 135017 have a break in the vertical line. I think Constellation's have a solid vertical line.

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet...ache=1&cHash=fb98fd7aabc59538f4f893d1cd2f75d9

12. Meanshot Apr 1, 2016

The Cosmic, Geneve, and De Ville models have all caught my attention! The Cosmic I returned was a manual 613 movement and I liked the "intimacy" about winding it every now and then. I'm leaning more towards manuals but I'm always open to see what I come across. Do you have any vintage pieces?

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 1, 2016

14. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 1, 2016

Here is one for you that my be worth keeping an eye on.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...534826?hash=item4d41ed07aa:g:X6EAAOSwzvlW~LemPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Meanshot likes this.
  15. Meanshot Apr 5, 2016

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252340817696 Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Any thoughts on this Seamaster? The 36mm size attracts me but I feel the typeface is a bit off along with the seconds hand....

16. fjf Apr 5, 2016

Yes, I vote redial :(

17. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 5, 2016

Redial. Unless I am mistaken the "A" on the Omega is not right. The "Swiss Made" size and location does not look right to me. No mention of the case number. No movement shot. Always a Caveat Emptor.
    I like the choice though. The case has the bones of the Ranchero and the Early Speedmaster.

18. Meanshot Apr 5, 2016

Thank you guys for the input! The search continues :thumbsup:

19. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 6, 2016

Your problem is you search in the wrong places... search here or@ watchrecon and your chances of getting a honest watch are 70/100 instead of 7/100 as it happens to be on eBay...

arkstfan likes this.