Forums Latest Members
  1. Colin88tracey Dec 28, 2017

Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum so I apologize if these types of questions have been answered a lot. Either way, I'm sure people enjoy sharing their knowledge.

Attached is a picture of the Seamaster that I received from my grandpa––who received it from his dad.
    Basically, I'm just trying to get it running but I want to make certain that whoever I send it off to doesn't mess with the dial or any part of the vintage appeal that it has.
    I'm from Michigan so can anyone recommend a place––preferably in the US––to have the movement serviced and maybe to replace the crystal (if that isn't considered a bad idea in keeping it true to vintage).

I guess the bottom line would be:
    What should I avoid when getting it serviced so as to not ruin it's vintage-ness?
    Where would be a good place to get the movement serviced? I've been told doing it through Omega will cost a fortune and they might replace the dial and polish the case.

Thanks for the advice and thanks for welcoming me into the community!
    Colin

IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0185.JPG IMG_0186.JPG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG
    Edited Dec 28, 2017
  2. fjf Dec 28, 2017

In focus pics would help.

3. Vitezi Dec 28, 2017

Try this search to find an AWCI (American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute) professional near you specializing in vintage watches. You may also try the NAWCC (National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors) search page.

You want to ask for a "clean, oil, adjust" service of the movement. The watchmaker will clean the movement, lubricate it, and adjust the timing. It is possible that internal parts may be worn, and a good watchmaker will advise you of the options. It's hard to tell from the photograph, but a good polishing of the crystal may be all that is needed - although if the crystal is cracked or yellowed you'll need to replace it. Avoid having the case polished or buffed by machine. A gentle cleaning should suffice.

It seems that the hands and crown may have been replaced at some time during your watch's lifetime. The dial seems to be missing the minute markers which suggests that, at some point in the past, it has possibly been repainted or touched up as was commonly done. But, none of that really matters because your watch has a special status, as an heirloom. :) A new leather strap and you'll be good to go.

Edited Dec 28, 2017
    ConElPueblo and Colin88tracey like this.
  4. Colin88tracey Dec 28, 2017

I appreciate the help!!

Vitezi likes this.
  5. Colin88tracey Dec 28, 2017

I apologize I didn't realize it was so blurry until now! Here are some more pics

IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0185.JPG IMG_0186.JPG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG
  6. ConElPueblo Dec 28, 2017

Everything looks original :)
    A US-cased version with a cal. 500 movement which was made for that market. Lovely heirloom.

heavenscloud and Colin88tracey like this.
  7. Colin88tracey Dec 28, 2017

Thanks! I was hoping everything would be original because if he bought it new in 1958 or 59, he died in I believe 1970, and I'd guess this watch was made well enough to survive that long without even being serviced let alone replacing parts!