Forums Latest Members
  1. Superdoc Feb 10, 2013

This may be Old news...But I haven't seen any opinions/posts yet...

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/product-presentations/constellation-sedna

So.....I'll get the obvious out of the Way first ...

Rolex Everose vs Omega Sedna....

I have always thought that Rolex has gotten alot of mileage from 'kool-aid' Drinkers...

and I believe that the truth behind Everose's Platinum content is probably vastly overexaggerated, and likely is a marketing ploy...BUT...it is still platinum...

Even if every intelligent decision favors the use of Palladium...I would still see it as inferior to Platinum, and by extension...Sedna inferior to Everose...

Never mind if the actual amount of palladium equates to more expense in core materials...

from a marketing perspective, it still falls short...

I'm sorry, but for me...Palladium is the lower budget answer to Platinum...

And don't try to argue logic and practicality - Because all of this goes out the window when dealing with Veblen Items... and I truly believe that Omega considers itself a Veblen item.

Why, Omega Why?

Why Let Rolex kick sand in your face when the past few years have been so significant in closing that Gap???

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

3. Superdoc Feb 10, 2013

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

There really isn't any cost saving to speak of, the cost of the metal is virtually irrelevant as the amount used on the case is a couple of grams at most, perhaps $100-200 on a watch selling for 10s of thousands.

As luck would have it, I actually work in the precious metals trading business ;)

Palladium is a whiter metal than Platinum, and is more effective at bleaching than platinum is. The alloy has to be 75% gold to be 18Kt, but by using a very strong white bleaching metal along with the copper you can make it much red-er and more rose tinted than normal rose gold which was Omega's aim here, to make the most red 18K alloy possible.

So while Rolex using platinum might sound great on paper, they actually used a lesser metal than palladium in ever-rose.

Superdoc likes this.
  5. Superdoc Feb 10, 2013

6. Superdoc Feb 10, 2013

makes perfect sense...
    and come to think of it, I often have to tell people that my HV is RG not YG...which usually results in people telling me to use words instead of two-letter abbreviations

seriously, this is a brilliant response that needs to reach the uninitiated...because or else, like you say, what looks good on paper is what will win out in the mind of many...