Forums Latest Members
  1. Professor Apr 3, 2019

Hi

Need some advice on best method of securing crowns.
    I have two watches that have unscrewed crowns, A 68 Omega Seamaster, and an 83 Bulova self winder, and one 40's/50's Benrus that needs a worn damaged stem replaced. I have the replacement stem for the Benrus.
    Anyway I need to tackle the Bulova first since I wear it often, plus the crown and stem look to be in pretty good shape other than having come unscrewed and refusing to screw down tight. Can't easily set the watch without turning crown counter clockwise.
    If I can get the stem out I figured on holding it tight with needle nose pliers and applying either super glue or lock tight to the stem and dogging it down tight.
    I need to know the best adhesive for this purpose.

The movement may be a subcontracted Citizen movement, Time frame seems right , a P3 1983-84, the watch is marked Hong Kong inside the case back. I've had this watch for quite a while and it runs like new, the insides are pristine and so brightly finished its difficult to see details but I think I found the catch for the stem removal. There's a rounded end slot with what is either a stud or a hole for inserting a probe. Not sure which due to the glare. My eye sight has been none too good lately. I can probably see it better in indirect sunlight tomorrow.
    I had no problem lifting the movement out with the crown unscrewed.
    Probably have to pull the stem out with movement out of the case.

Sorry no pictures of the movement, I still don't have a camera suited to close up work.

Like I said main thing is knowing the best adhesive or if lock tight is better.

Here's a seller's pic of the watch
    s-l1600 (41).jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 3, 2019

If you hold the stem in a pin vice you can tighten the crown down on it with finger pressure (tight). The cut end of the stem should be dressed to remove any cut burrs so a nice flat bearing surface is inside the crown.

Re-install and check winding/setting to see if the crown loosens, if it does, the tiniest drop of Loctite 222 may resolve the issue.

3. Professor Apr 4, 2019

Thank you.
    I just bought a new set of needle nosed pliers, mine keep disappearing, and a tube of Blue Permatex medium strength thread locker.
    I have brass shim stock I can use to pad the pliers. The crown turns onto the stem very easily, so I doubt I'll need to use much pressure to hold the stem.
    The stem is much longer than those of other watches I've examined. Should be plenty of surface area to grasp.
    I'll clean the crown and stem with acetone before applying the thread locker.

Edited to add !Success!
    Went much better than I'd expected.
    Won't be certain that I haven't damaged anything till it runs naturally through date changing and checks out for accuracy in a 24 -48 hr test run. seems okay though.

BTW
    This movement requires a very very slender punch to unlatch the stem. Luckily I had one on the end of a watch band replacement tool I bought recently.

PS
    Already mislaid my new pair of pliers. No luck at all when it comes to this single type of hand tool.

Edited Apr 5, 2019
    JimInOz likes this.