Forums Latest Members
  1. Spy You know my name. Jan 31, 2013

I know this will seem petty but I could never get used to the second hand ticking on my PO when I owned it. I know the vph is lower on co-axial's which accounts for the 7 ticks per second. For some reason it always stood out whenever I would look at it to tell the time and I could not ignore it. It was like trying to make eye contact with someone that has a big pimple on their nose.

Pre-coaxial Omega watches all ticked 8 times per second and looked smoother when I looked at my 2254 vs the 2200.50.

Am I alone on this?

2. ulackfocus Jan 31, 2013

It might also have something to do with the length of the second hand. A longer one on a bigger watch will accentuate the intervals - they'll be more noticeable because they're longer. I've never held both watches at the same time to compare though.

3. Steve Jan 31, 2013

You must have good eye sight to distinguish 7 ticks per second from 8 !!!.

magnifying-emoticon.jpg

Spy likes this.
  4. Spy You know my name. Jan 31, 2013

Hahaha! My vision is excellent, but not that sharp.

It is simple mathematics. Pre-coaxials tick 8 times per second. Here is the equation:

28,800(VPH) ÷ 60(minutes in one hour) = 480 ticks per minute.
    480 ÷ 60(second in one minute) = 8

A co-axial Omega's VPH is 25,500. Using the same calculation above the ticks per second equals 7.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 1, 2013

If you can find an A or B version of the Cal. 2500, they both tick at 28,800.

The newer version tick at 25,200, not 25,500.

Cheers, Al

6. Spy You know my name. Feb 1, 2013

Thank you for the correction. After using that number the equation above equals 7, precisely. From my reading the A and B 2500 calibers VPH was too high and resulted in the 2500c. I wish I knew what the production run was for the A and B 2500 calibers.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 1, 2013

I've never had an A in the shop - they had issues with the pallet fork bridge not being rigid enough, and a shock would cause the watch to stop. I believe they swapped many movements as a quick solution, and consequently A versions are difficult to find. The B version is out there and I've had several in for service. The PO only came with C or D, so you would need another model like an Aqua Terra for a B version.

Cheers, Al

8. Spy You know my name. Feb 1, 2013

That is interesting. I always believed the PO was originally fitted with the A and then B before settling with the C.

Do you work at Omega's service center or an Omega Store?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 1, 2013

No, I am an independent watchmaker who works on many brands, but I service more Omega watches than any other single brand.

Cheers, Al

10. Buck2466 Feb 1, 2013

I have a crono as you can see in my avatar. I had an issue with it 2 months after I purchased it new. The watch stopped and would not start back up. I sent it back to the AD and they said it would go back to Bienne to be looked at. I was told it would take over 2 months. I received a call from the AD just under 2 months later and said they received my watch back and that Omega gave me a brand new watch which I wasn't expecting, but was completely thrilled since I only had the watch for 2 months. I was very impressed with the way Omega stood behind their product! As a result I have bought 2 other Omegas since and will continue to grow my collection. By the way I also have a 2254.50 and compared the second hands after reading this thread and I have a hard time noticing any difference.

Tim

11. Spy You know my name. Feb 1, 2013

That is fantastic! I love OMEGA. :D