Second hand market

Market feels very weak right now. I think it has been a slow decline last couople of years and then you add in the typical summer slowdown and I can get the sense market is down. The market for Speedmasters feels especially weak.
Edited:

The second-hand market for watches can be a bit tricky to navigate, but it’s definitely worth exploring. One great way to find quality items is to check out dedicated marketplaces and flea markets.

AI much?

I notice somethings hanging around longer or priced more sanely I don’t think the bottom fell out. I do get a lot of news articles saying it did. They also tell me the housing market is about to drop then I scroll down find another article saying it will remain overheated.

Throw a dart

Seems like some price correction has occurred. I bought a couple Grand Seikos recently for less than I’d expected (e.g. I paid under 50% of current retail for a mint two-year-old Spring Drive GMT). I have a couple Datejusts that I don’t really wear anymore, and I’ll be lucky to get lunch money for them.

What do you think of the Watchco SM300s

back in the day 1200 USD then 2000 USD then...well I kind of lost track.

I certainly would like to see $1200 Watchco SM300s again :-D

I'd like to find a SM300 case for one of the 56x/57x movements I have been indulging in.

Spent the morning calling around material houses yet again for an escape wheel. Almost bought a date set jumper quckset Seller wanted 70 I countered 35. Seller counter 60. I countered 45. Seller countered 60 I called a material house to confirm if the 45 was the yoke or the jumper. (I need the yoke.)

Possible I could cut the yoke with the fiber laser and use a beading needle as a pivot.

Also wondering if I should short sell some of the 33x/33x bridges to see if I could get 55x tick tock parts. I'd also think about taking on some simple cleaning jobs edit : in exchange for parts : edit if it was not for the liability. Customers are too demanding about the plank width alignment of the date wheel. And the quantum foam timing accuracy of the METAS certificates. On the other hand I can honestly say that my services are more exclusive than rolex. Only the most discerning customer (myself) is good enough to work for. That no one can afford my time.

The junk and garbage is out there. There is no evidence that the manufactures would ever return selling vintage spares into the market. Does remain probably of 100s years supply in the chains and estate sales. What is picked over. Some of this comes random. I spent a lot of a a clutch wheel. Then a bulk seller had a bulk of wheels. So it really is a game of chance.

Needed a spring barrel cover. Now I have half a dozen barrel completes.

No barrel bridge becomes another half dozen or more barrel bridges.

Scraps of pipe organ leather becomes watch straps.

Seems sort of like it is a weird place at the moment. I did avoid this sort of thing cold turkey for 18 years. Back in the day it was what showed up at the NAWCC marts Goodwill charity shops or pawnshops and flea markets. When I started collecting Omega in the late 1989s early 1990s it did not renaissance. There were a lot of fakes. Hayek turned it around. Could have gone the other way.

Watchco and the other Victor Fs probably helped with this. If only I had known about these designs back then. I was finding seamasters and connies. Plus the ladies junk what has not changed in value over 30 years.

Now I want to know where those recased 565s are? 'cause I want rusty scrappy looking pitted cases for my 551 and 554 ratwatch frankens.

... and I am not the only one targeting these spares online.

I certainly would like to see $1200 Watchco SM300s again :-D

You and me both. Back in the day I bought my Watchco as a $700 “parts kit” and had a watchmaker source a serviced movement and the small bits — clamps and whatnot — to put it together. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did … back then, 700 bucks was big money for me.

Seems like some price correction has occurred. I bought a couple Grand Seikos recently for less than I’d expected (e.g. I paid under 50% of current retail for a mint two-year-old Spring Drive GMT). I have a couple Datejusts that I don’t really wear anymore, and I’ll be lucky to get lunch money for them.

I picked up a few Grand Seiko's back in the day. And this was before GS was popular and also before pricing ticked up from Corporate.

Personally I think then that the second hand market won't be a solid for GS and you will be able to continue to pick up at a discount

You and me both. Back in the day I bought my Watchco as a $700 “parts kit” and had a watchmaker source a serviced movement and the small bits — clamps and whatnot — to put it together. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did … back then, 700 bucks was big money for me.

I honestly think it's going to be a lot harder going forward. a lot of the good bits is going to be hoarded up

"Sell in May, go away" ;-) Also in my C24account the prices are corrected downwards nearly daily, Shares and prices will rise in autumn - so BUY NOW, if you can.

"Sell in May, go away" ;-) Also in my C24account the prices are corrected downwards nearly daily, Shares and prices will rise in autumn - so BUY NOW, if you can.

LOL. Maybe my best watch buy ever was a one-year-old Speedy, many years ago. The seller had tax problems; IIRC I swooped in around April 10 😉