Forums Latest Members
  1. kmacrae001 Mar 25, 2018

Greeting,

I am a new member and making my first post. I am starting the search for my second automatic and there a couple ideas running through my head (first watch was an pilot - Oris BC3 from the early 90s, with the day at 12:00 and the date at 6:00, I liked the symmetry of that style better than the newer ones). I won't ask something stupid like, "help me choose between a vintage dress watch and a diver". As my grandfather would have said, "you'll have to answer that one for yourself young man".

My question is focus on the vintage dress style. I have looked and red enough to decide that if that is the direction I go, that I like the 60s era Seamasters and Constellations. I am not apposed to spending a bit for nice example, and I am wondering what you all think about the pros and cons of the two styles and what (in the way of condition) I should expect for something in the $800 - $1200 range? Any guidance on this front is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Kirk

2. Vanallard Mar 25, 2018

You're best bet (IMO) is to narrow your search. Are you looking for a stainless steel model or gold-filled/gold cap/solid gold? Are you looking to buy a watch with a round case or a 'c-shape' case? Do you want a simple dial or one with a date or day/date feature? Do you want a watch with a sunburst dial/linen dial/black dial... etc. There are so many different variations of both Constellation and Seamaster models from the 60s that it's hard to comment on all models generally. Omega manufactured some fantastic Seamaster and Constellation models during the 60s and you really can't go wrong with the cal. 55x and 56x movements, so long as they have been well maintained.

The following blog is an excellent resource for vintage Omega Constellations. It will give you a sense of the various models that were produced during the 1960s.

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.ca/

You can find some excellent examples of both Seamaster and Constellation models in your price range. Some of the solid 18k gold Seamaster models will fall outside of the range as will the more desirable Constellation models (solid gold variations and pie-pan models).

Good luck with the hunt!

Dedalus05 likes this.
  3. kkt Mar 25, 2018

Great, another person bidding on the same watches... ;)

Yes, you can get good examples of the Seamasters and Constellations in that price range, in stainless, gold-filled, or gold-capped. Spend a while looking at the private sales forum here, and supplement by looking at watchrecon.com. They will tell you what the asking price is or was, but won't tell you what the actual sale price was. They'll give you an idea of the price range to expect. You can also look at ebay completed sales, though there you have a lot of uneducated buyers and redialed watches. Just get an idea what styles you like and what they sell for - no point in paying for a piepan if you would be just as happy with a C-shape.

Remember to budget for service. If the seller doesn't show a receipt for service, assume it'll need service when you buy it. And they should be serviced about every 5 years, as lubrication dries up - the watch will continue to run for quite a while with dry lubrication, however it's causing extra wear. Don't be deceived by the fact that it's still ticking into thinking service is unnecessary.