Searching for replacement caliber or hairspring 30T2 Omega 2498

Hello everyone, I own a Omega 30T2, reference 2498 dating from 1948. The hairsping is broken beyond repair and I need a 30T2PC or 30T2SCPC hairpring replacement, which I cannot find anywhere. The alternative for the hairspring would be a replacement caliber/mechanism. As I am more interested in being able to wear a functioning watch than keeping it 100% original: what replacement/caliber would fit my 30T2 case and could be installed without any problem? Any suggestions are more than welcome - thanks!

I have two questions:
1. does anyone have access to a 30T2PC or 30T2SCPC hairspring that will fit my watch?
2. if I cannot find a replacement hairspring, which caliber would fit the case/dial?

You don't usually buy just a hairspring - the standard replacement part from Omega would be a "Balance complete" and for the 30T2PC (aka Omega 260) that would be 260.1327.

Is your hairspring broken or just damaged? A watchmaker can often fix these things. Even if broken, if it is close to the stud, there is a chance.

I might have a used balance for one of these which I could sell so, I will have a look if you can't move forward and send me mail.

Regards, Chris

You don't usually buy just a hairspring - the standard replacement part from Omega would be a "Balance complete" and for the 30T2PC (aka Omega 260) that would be 260.1327.

Is your hairspring broken or just damaged? A watchmaker can often fix these things. Even if broken, if it is close to the stud, there is a chance.

I might have a used balance for one of these which I could sell so, I will have a look if you can't move forward and send me mail.

Regards, Chris

Dear Chris, thanks for your reply! The hairspring is damaged beyond repair, which is the major problem. The watchmaker cannot repair this or create a new spring. Please let me know if you have an original balance I could use - I would be most grateful. Do you think this is a 'drop-in' matter? Please feel free to mail me at [email protected] Kindest, Freek

I'd suggest you start searching eBay for a donor movement, even finding "just" a balance complete is going to be a challenge.

Unfortunately, mine is for a 266 so, as I remember, a 265.1327 and it isn't suitable for your watch.

Follow the advice from X350 XJR or ask a different watchmaker to look at your existing balance - everyone has different skills and your existing hairspring may be recoverable. I've recovered some that were called "beyond repair" by others.

Good luck, Chris

Like 1
I'd suggest you start searching eBay for a donor movement, even finding "just" a balance complete is going to be a challenge.
Finding an Omega donor movement is quite a challenge. I'd even settle for another non-Omega movement that fits the case just to see the watch running again. Do you know of any movements that might fit the case/dial? Thanks!

Unfortunately, mine is for a 266 so, as I remember, a 265.1327 and it isn't suitable for your watch.

Follow the advice from X350 XJR or ask a different watchmaker to look at your existing balance - everyone has different skills and your existing hairspring may be recoverable. I've recovered some that were called "beyond repair" by others.

Good luck, Chris

thanks Chris! The watch is currently with the original seller in Brussels who works with watchmakers, so I am a bit on the 'depending' side of matters. What donor movement would you suggest that would fit the case/dial and works as a 'drop in' replacement? I'm happy with a good quality non-Omega movement if need be. Best, Freek

I don't think anyone on here would be interested in recommending a non Omega movement for an Omega as it would not be in keeping with the way the forum members think.

Anyway, why not investigate a different Omega calibre in this series. I suspect the 280-286 calibres would be suitable but you'd need a watchmaker to check over the parts list, exact diameter, height and so on.

If the watch is back with the original seller, then can you cancel the purchase? If it is already your watch, I would get it back and find a watchmaker to work with. Like I say, I can't refinish a case to any real standard but I could often fix hairsprings - someone close to you may be able to resolve this.

Good luck, Chris

thanks Chris! The watch is currently with the original seller in Brussels who works with watchmakers, so I am a bit on the 'depending' side of matters. What donor movement would you suggest that would fit the case/dial and works as a 'drop in' replacement? I'm happy with a good quality non-Omega movement if need be. Best, Freek

The 30T2 family is one of Omegas most widely produced calibers. Finding a donor shouldn't be that hard.

Trying to find a "drop-in replacement" will not only be harder, but would be a waste of money.

Like 1