Forums Latest Members
  1. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 24, 2015

Hi,

Has anyone got any tips about getting the search function to work a little better?

For example, when I search for "First Omega in Space", the words "First" and "in" are excluded, meaning the search is essentially useless. You'd think a search for the actual reference would work (seems like something the search functionality of a watch forum would allow), but when searching for "311.32.40.30.01.001", the whole thing is excluded.

Seems that using the "site: omegaforums.net" tag on a Google search works much better. (Edit, needed to add a space between the colon and the "o" or I get an emoticon ;-) )

Please don't think I am having a moan, I know we're all getting a heck of a lot for nothing with this site, but if improving the search is on the plan, it'd be a definite upgrade.

2. Hijak Apr 24, 2015

Try searching for "FOIS" that might work better.

3. ChrisN Apr 25, 2015

Try putting the whole phrase in quotation marks, that seems to work better for a phrase:
    search.jpg

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

Yea you need to use double quotes otherwise it searches for all of the words contained in that, so any post containing the word "in" will come up as a result, which is tens of thousands. Double quotes isolate it to the specific string, not all the words individually.

Matty01 likes this.
  5. codice86 Apr 25, 2015

+ 1

Probably something that should be doable is eliminate the length restriction of individual words when searching with double quotes (i.e. this morning I was trying to search for "IWC cal 89" with no success)

6. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 25, 2015

Thanks for the replies.
    I tried double quotes but it seems to search each word individually anyway and it still tells me the word "in" is excluded, although the results seem to embolden the word "in" even when it's as part of a longer word like "something" or "eliminate" as per the attached screenshot.
    By the way, I see "FOIS" brings back results but I was just using this as an illustration of the search limitations.
    References in particular would be useful to search.
    Cheers
    image.jpg

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

This is why Mods will often change tittles of threads to include a relevant word with four letters when possible.

kkt likes this.
  8. flyingout Apr 25, 2015

It's the three-letter searches that most often hamper me. "321" in the past and "JLC" just yesterday. Using a Google site: search does seem to get close (it even hits the expanded "Jaeger-LeCoultre") and adding a member name helps though is not quite as targeted as native member and forum specific searches.

9. themattedial Dec 26, 2016

Wondering if anyone has a solution for this? I hit this all the type when trying to search by reference number. I think I'm doing it wrong.

10. ulackfocus Dec 26, 2016

If there's a thread you might want to reference later down the road, put a post in it with your own special word. I often use 'ecclesiastical' because that particular word probably isn't something that pops up regularly in discussion.

It will now though if I know you guys.

(cue Oddboy, STANDY, Jim in Oz, and the rest of the reprobates)

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 26, 2016

ecclesiastical

Now to cut and paste this into all of the Speedmaster threads I can find.

:D

cicindela and kkt like this.
  12. akshayluc420 Dec 26, 2016

Using Boolean operators works well for me, though I have encountered the same issue from time to time.

May I recommend, a workaround, using Google to search for the following search term (query) in bold to get what you're looking for?: "First Omega in Space" site: omegaforums.net
    Edit: (Please remove the space between the ':' and 'o' before 'omegaforums.net'.)

Additional reading if required:
    Google explanation of Boolean Operators with examples: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433?hl=en
    Additional explanation: http://www.ukop.co.uk/help_boolean_search.aspx

Edited Dec 26, 2016
  13. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Dec 26, 2016

:eek: megaforums lol

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 26, 2016