Forums Latest Members
  1. OMEGA 1961 Nov 4, 2016

like this seamaster...in working order...dial in good condition... on ebay..is it a good buy? no movement photos..shame..
    thanks in advance

seamaster 1.jpg seamaster 2.jpg seamaster 3.jpg
    rolemachine likes this.
  2. OMEGA 1961 Nov 4, 2016

£102 at the moment with 5 days to go...asked the seller but no reply as yet

rolemachine likes this.
  3. novina Nov 4, 2016

Wonky A in automatic. Coat hook S seems a bit off compared to mine. And also wondered about how many hums a M should have. But looking closer, It may be right. Minute track looks off. But than again, this could all be due to crystal distortion. Red seconds hand, replacement most likely. Not exactly the best pics. If not a redial, the dial may have had some help along the way. Again speculation on my part due to the not so great pics. Would be a gamble in my opinion without a movement shot though. Unless the price stays low enough.

OMEGA 1961 likes this.
  4. François Pépin Nov 5, 2016

The dial looks good to me, but hard to be sure with these pics. I guess the glass is scratched, and it is not helping the evaluation of the dial.

Do you have pics of the movement?

OMEGA 1961 likes this.
  5. Edward53 Nov 5, 2016

Looks like it has never been opened since the day it was made. Dial is in good condition so no reason to suppose the movement will be rusted up. Exterior is pretty disgusting but IMO there is a decent watch under that if you can live with the inscription. If I wanted it I'd gamble on the movement. I doubt the seller is hiding anything but probably has no idea how to remove the back and would do damage trying. Allowing for the cost of servicing I don't see much more than £200 there.

OMEGA 1961 likes this.
  6. François Pépin Nov 5, 2016

Well, I find helpfull to have movement pictures when judging if a dial is original or not - except when it is obvious it is or it is not. The reason is that if a movement is rusted or in bad condition, a good looking dial would seem suspect. It is only one point in the evaluation, and of course the quality, fonts, etc., of the dial are the first things to check!

More over, as the OP asked wether this watch is a good buy, I think it is a good idea to see the movement!

By the way, I would not be so confident that a good looking dial - even if original - should imply a movement in good condition. For a 200$ watch I could bet it would be the case, but it is not a general rule.

At that point I think the dial is OK. But cannot say more without other pics.

OMEGA 1961 likes this.
  7. Edward53 Nov 5, 2016

All the above is fair comment, but note that I used the word "gamble"! It is obvious that one cannot be sure that this movement, or indeed any movement, is in good condition without pictures. I have gambled on about six watches with no movement photos over the years and every one has turned out well. Of course that does not mean every gamble will work out ok, or it would not be a "gamble" at all.

When a watch is listed on ebay with no movement photo, some people will not bid on principle. This means a potential bargain for somebody else. Below is my beloved Seamaster De Ville, my first quality vintage watch, won on ebay in 2012 for £275 complete with BOR with photos of the exterior only. After servicing, this watch continues to keep time below 5 seconds per day. So a risk can pay off.

Looking at the dirt on the back of the watch shown above, I do not think it has been opened recently and so I doubt the seller knows anything about the condition of the movement. The seller also says it is in working order so the movement can't be that bad. OP has enough information here to decide whether this is a risk worth taking.

Ludovic 015.jpg

OMEGA 1961 likes this.
  8. DON Nov 5, 2016

I'd be more worried about the amount of wrist cheese deposited on the case and that its from Bombay with humid? temperatures.

Breeding ground for pitting/corrosion underneath it all

I never buy if the case looks filthy and I can't see inside the main case or back to see if damaged

DON

OMEGA 1961 likes this.
  9. François Pépin Nov 5, 2016

No worries! We more or less agree and I just wanted to help, not to argue with you!

I have myself tried some gamble on eBay's watches without movement pics, but when I give an opinion about a watch for someone else, I prefer to be carefull.

The main issue here will probably be that the auction will not end at 100 £... At that price or so, I would try a gamble, not at 200 £.

OMEGA 1961 and Edward53 like this.