Forums Latest Members

Seamaster vs Submariner - opinions

1. sharkhandler Aug 23, 2016

Hi All,

so I'm putting together a watch collection.

I currently have:
    omega seamaster 2254.50
    omega speedmaster mark iv automatic (1974)
    omega speedmaster mark ii (2015)

I'm seriously looking at adding a new watch to my collection. I'm thinking of a rolex submariner, but it looks almost identical to my seamaster and is about four times the price. I'm not wild about the polished links in the bracelet and the 40mm case size feels a bit small.

I was also looking at the rolex GMT Master II - but the dial looks very cramped and the shiny bracelet is very off putting. The Omega Planet Ocean GMT looks a much classier alternative.

One thing that stands out though is that even second hand, Rolexes are sometimes more than brand new, so as an investment, the Rolex seems a sound option.

Rolex vs Omega. Any opinions?

Paul

2. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2016

::popcorn::

3. w.finkenstaedt Aug 23, 2016

I'd go with the new master chronometer PO GMT. The black and white bezel is awesome (way better than the BLNR).

New master chronometer POs are still less than Rolex at retail by a few thousand. Way better deal for a better watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yester5 and jcmartinez98 like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2016

Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial is a really good sub competitor too worth looking at.

Aussie Jim, arno and Foo2rama like this.
  5. WatchVaultNYC Aug 23, 2016

Tudor Sub 79190

No vintage premium (modern design = sapphire crystal, click bezel), no Rolex stigma, and hey you have painted indices. Blue color will complement your Sword Hands.

Prices are not crazy yet and similar to your Sword Hands. A thick leather strap will give it better wrist presence.

[​IMG]

Or, at this price, why not get yourself a used Black Bay?

José9, jimi, KstateSkier and 3 others like this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 23, 2016

My best suggestion is do a search for past threads on the subject.

Edited Aug 23, 2016
    blubarb and jcmartinez98 like this.
  7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 23, 2016

Rolex

8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 23, 2016

A submariner looks almost identical to a 2254? Are you serious?

Yester5, José9, blubarb and 2 others like this.
  9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 23, 2016

Rolex vs Omega :eek:

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 20.14.13.jpg
    Personally I like models of both brands as long as they are sans cyclops, your choice don't be influenced by what we say and buy what you like/love.

10. flw history nerd Aug 23, 2016

I couldn't agree more ... I'd go so far as to say that it's preferable to the no-date Submariner - the antimagnetic movement and the jumping hour function are clear advantages.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  11. EatMan Aug 23, 2016

Good to see that this thread has not devolved into a nasty O vs R discussion. :)

already said so many times on various watch forums, luxury watches are not investments. you would like them to retain much value as possible but don't think that they will make you money. Just buy them at the right price so you don't get hosed if you don't like the watch.

Have you tried on all the watches you referenced above? I'm frequently surprised by how a watch looks so different on my wrist versus just looking at a photo.

Reading between the lines, sounds like the OP has a Rolex itch. if you do, just scratch it. Get what you truly want and don't let a couple of grand get in the way.

Yester5 and gostang9 like this.
  12. Bushido Aug 23, 2016

I've purchased and enjoyed both the 300MC as well as the 114060, saw no reason to just have one or the other :)

I think you might be getting the Sub confused though as it doesn't have polishing in the bracelet, it's all brushed. Also, newer references have the maxi case (which I really like) and adds some more substance to the watch.

You won't go wrong with either manufacturer as long as you're buying what you want/enjoy as your motivation.

T WIN likes this.
  13. flw history nerd Aug 23, 2016

I also have the SubC Date as well as the SM300 MC ... there are different features with each that make having both (if possible) a great combination. But it all depends on the priorities of the OP. An expensive watch isn't really an investment, as is pointed out above ... although Rolex steel sport models do generally retain a stronger resale value than almost any Omega I know of. But if there's no plan to resell, then that aspect is moot.

Yester5 likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 23, 2016

That's a ball of worms, Thank You!

ulackfocus likes this.
  15. gostang9 Aug 23, 2016

I found myself thinking each of the things @EatMan posted, so +1 for me.

I would really stress the "Have you tried on all the watches..." point. I have looked at hundreds of watches on the internet (as likely all of us have and do), and I've also tried on many at AD's and Boutiques. While 2D images are good for helping you initially sort out what general style or look you do or don't like, it never compares directly with having the watch on the wrist.

I would also like a Diver style watch for my deep-sea desk activities: the Sub doesn't grab me like it does many people, and so I've looked at the Seamaster 300 and Tudor Black Bay.
    - I find both attractive in pictures (more so than the Sub for me) and yet when I tried them on:

--> I found the SM300 quite underwhelming in person (especially the PCL's). I think on the right non-OEM strap it looks great, or on a modified bracelet with center links brushed as has been described in other threads. But as the watch is offered at the AD with either steel bracelet or leather band, I was not convinced to pull the trigger.

--> I found the Tudor Black Bay Red very impressive when I tried it on. I like the bracelet, loved the look of the dial and the small splash of colour on the bezel (I much prefer the subtle red of the Black Bay Red over the bright colors normally appearing on Rolex models - that's just me). I haven't bought one yet but trying it on in person this watch is a much more likely candidate for me than I expected just by looking at pictures.

Finally, while input from members on the Forum are interesting side-notes, don't ever buy a watch based on what others tell you. Buy what you like, and buy what you'll want to wear for a long time. Don't purchase a luxury watch as an investment... get it for personal enjoyment only.

Yester5, NauticalRN, arcadelt and 2 others like this.
  16. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2016

FIFY. ;)

It'll take some time for people to learn the correct ΩF terminology. :D Stay strong and keep politely reminding them Foo2.

Well Paul, allow me to link you to the best Rolex versus Omega comparison EVER done:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=3072156&rid=0

:thumbsup: :p :p :p

Yester5, NauticalRN, Longbow and 5 others like this.
  17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 23, 2016

Ball of worms ?
    Never came across that before, wonder what Google will say :thumbsdown:

Reading above post is it really worth the effort ?

18. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2016

Foo2 mixes metaphors with the best of them.

19. gostang9 Aug 23, 2016

Thank you @ulackfocus for sharing that! Got a real chuckle from me... It's great when those who have been on the forums longer than some of us noobs post old treasures so they can be enjoyed all over again.

"Lets face it, if you hit a stranger in the head with a Rolex, they're going to notice. "Holy s&*^, someone just beaned me with a ROLEX!!!"; its not something they'll soon forget."

Longbow and GregH like this.
  20. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 23, 2016

This high speed posting ;)