Forums Latest Members
  1. Brad Cancian Dec 12, 2012

Hi folks - I recently picked up this Seamaster:

[​IMG]

The two-toned dial appealed to me, but I am not so sure that the outer ring of the dial was originally the "brown/gold" colour it is now. I have seen where some watch dials of older watches (this one has a serial number that dates it to 1956) may tarnish or get "sunburnt" over time. It's not super-clear from my picture but the "brown" tone does vary slightly over the face of the watch (which gives it a bit of a faux-gold look), but there are areas where it looks like a silver finish is showing through. I suspect the watch had a silver outer ring on the dial when made, but I am interested in what this phenomenon is, whether it can be cleaned or not, and if so, is it worth it (I don't want to damage the dial in any way as I otherwise think the dial is a good one). I think that if I I left it as is, and paired this up with a nice tan or brown strap it would look quite nice.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

BC

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 12, 2012

Looks like someone tried to deep fry it and it came out extra crispy! Interesting texture, its not /dirty/ as waffles often get, its an even colour

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 12, 2012

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 12, 2012

I was told it was the burn from the radioactive radium that was used as lume in these watches.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 12, 2012

Btw, congrats, nice watch

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 12, 2012

It's fine, nice watch. Sometimes these 2 tone waffles age, and I just bought a Constellation that has a little of browning. :)