Forums Latest Members

Seamaster running slow - 90 seconds a day

1. nxw1969 Jan 7, 2015

Hi,

I have a Seamaster Pro that is in need of a service, as it hasnt had one for several years,
    but can any of the experts tell me what the symptoms shown in my watch point to.

It runs 4 seconds an hour slow and very consistently at that, losing just over a minute and a half a day.

I have only had the watch a few days, but was aware of that when I bought it, and got it for a price that allowed me to factor in a service.

I know this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but does a very consistent 4 seconds an hour loss, point to anything in anyone experience?

Thanks
    Nick

2. nxw1969 Jan 7, 2015

It is the 3rd Gen "James Bond" watch by the way, full size auto

Seamaster.jpg
  3. Red Jan 7, 2015

"and got it for a price that allowed me to factor in a service."
    The only reputable Omega man I know (from having dealt with) is in NYC but the only important thing now is probably for you to get a few names to consider for having the watch serviced. What is wrong...like CrackerJack, there's always a surprise inside. Perhaps it is simply in gross need of a cleaning and lube, if you're lucky.

4. Red Jan 7, 2015

BTW, James always--and only--wore a Rolex, with a metal bracelet band, which could be slipped off the wrist and used as "brass knuckles". As per Mr. Fleming himself.

Omega has certainly grabbed a nice ride, but seriously, would you want to see your Omega used as brass knuckles? That might void the warranty.(G)

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2015

With the information you provided, it's impossible to give you a definitive answer. We would all just be guessing.

It could have received a hard knock and the regulator moved to a slow position, it could be very poorly regulated by some home watchmaker, or it could just need a service. It has to be looked at by someone who knows what they are doing to give you some additional information.

If it came to my shop I would fully wind it, put it on the timing machine, and check the balance amplitude - that alone may tell me it needs a service. If I can't see any issues on the timing machine, then I would open it up and inspect the movement using a loupe first, then a microscope to check the condition of the lubrication.

Cheers, Al

ICONO likes this.
  6. nxw1969 Jan 7, 2015

Thanks Al - was hoping you would answer :)

I'm debating whether or not to get a full Omega service, with warranty, or to take it to my local jeweler. its an independent shop, with an old guy who has been servicing my watches for years.

What are your thoughts about independent jewelers vs an official Omega service.
    I know this is another almost impossible to answer question, but should any good watchmaker be able to service the watch to a good level, or would you recommend an official Omega service?

Cheers
    Nick

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2015

Any competent watchmaker can service the movement. The question is does your local guy have access to parts if needed? Although the Cal. 1120 resembled a 2892, there are a few differences. Also, if you need crown, HEV, new hand to replace the faded red seconds hand, etc. he won't be able to get them unless he has an Omega account, or wants to pay more for the parts.

Up to you really.

Cheers, Al

8. nxw1969 Jan 7, 2015

Thanks Al - I think a full service is the way to go

The price on the omega site is around £350 - would parts such as the bezel, second hand etc.. All be extra

Thanks again for your help

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2015

Omega usually replaces hands if they need it or not, and they are included. Bezel not though.

Cheers, Al

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 7, 2015

Al. Is there a register, anywhere, of Omega qualified watchmakers?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2015

If you mean some kind of list that the public can see, no not that I know of. As far as I know only Omega knows who is qualified or not.

12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 7, 2015

That's a shame. I would have thought that it would have been a good way to help justify the training and give something back to the watchmakers.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 7, 2015

I agree, shame. The omega website does list certified shops for repair, but they're usually also ADs/jewlers. Seems that some do the work in house, and others send it elsewhere... sometimes an omega center, sometimes not. I could be wrong, but I think these ADs have less choice in cost and process than an independent would have, but finding a list of certified independents seems to be very hard. I don't think there's many. At least not around these parts.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 8, 2015

Just to comment on the pricing aspect - I am not obligated to charge any specific amount for repairs. I charge what makes sense for my business, and Omega has no part in that. A service center will charge the rate dictated by Omega, and if an AD is sending watches away to Omega, they will charge the Omega rate, and pocket the difference between the Omega rate and the discount for acting as the broker in a way.

If they have a watchmaker in house, or send it out to a third party for repairs (the latter very common these days) then they could charge what they want also I believe. But if they are sending even some watches to Omega, they would most likely charge the same across the board.

Cheers, Al

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 15, 2015

Not quite. Yes to the metal strip to use as a knuckle buster, but no on the Rolex. As per Fleming and the novels he actually prefers inexpensive pieces, and there is no mention of Rolex...that is until the last novels which where written as the first movie was being made with cooperation on set with Fleming, and as Fleming got his own Rolex. If I remember correctly, and I would have to look back into it, h actually mentions it is an expensive watch now and he has to be more careful with it. So one may say the whole Bond Rolex thing is actually more of a cinematic development.

Curiously as I understand it Rolex did not lend a watch to the first movie and Sean Connery was actually wearing the watch of a crew member...the watch with the famous Green/Red/Black stripes..that may be legend though.