Forums Latest Members
  1. Drax Jan 20, 2012

Hello. This is my first post as I would like some help please.:)

I want to own an Omega watch & I've been offered this Seamaster quartz cal 1332 for £350.

It has had a newglass & crown fitted(2006) & also comes with the original steel bracelet.

Just want to know if I would be paying too much or about the right price?

Thankyou in advance for any advice. 145(1).JPG

2. ulackfocus Jan 20, 2012

That converts to 544 US dollars - very high for a quartz watch IMO. Anything over $300 (about £194) is too much. While it's a nice looking watch, it just doesn't have much value to a collector.

3. Steve Jan 20, 2012

You can pick up a nice automatic Omega Seamaster De Ville for that kind of money. I'd have a look around if I were you.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2012

Its not just the price either, those quartz models are a part of Omega's history that isn't special, relevant, or memorable, it was a time when Omega's place in the watch world was under threat, and due to bad management decisions they had attempted to compete on price in the lower end of the watch market, while where the company is now, positioned as a maker of in-house movements and at the forefront of modern watchmaking technology as a brand they'd rather sweep pieces like this under the rug as a bad idea.

Now if you want something battery powered and you go for an F300 tuning fork watch, that does at least carry some significance, and also fits into your price segment. They're actually a cool piece.

5. Drax Jan 21, 2012

Thankyou very much for your replies. I shall save my hard earned & continue on my quest for an Omega. Think I'll enjoy this forum.:)

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2012

You might want to keep an eye out for one of these, a Seamaster 120M Cal 1120 automatic, very strong movement with a chronometer rating and a nice bracelet with clean dial design, very affordable these days as well, possibly one of the best entry points into a modern automatic Omega IMHO, I've seen them at around the 350 quid point in good shape.

This reference is a model 2501.81

2501.81_main.jpg

7. Spy You know my name. Jan 21, 2012

Drax, don't I know? I just joined myself. Welcome!

8. Drax Jan 21, 2012

Thankyou!

9. ulackfocus Jan 21, 2012

Those are really nice. I've seen a few selling for very reasonable prices over the years.

10. TypicallyFine Apr 22, 2016

Sorry if this quote is from ages ago.

I'm wondering at what point (in time) Omega's brand transitioned from being this lower quality price competitive watch, to the well made brand that we know to day. In other words in, what years of models should I look for if I want a Omega watch to be well made and desirable.

Thanks, Robert

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  11. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 22, 2016

From my rather limited viewpoint, Omega's rise in popularity came with growing knowledge of their precision, being selected for railroad, military, and even Olympic use. Omega were (and still are) renowned for their precision, being the biggest manufacturer of Chronometers from 1958-1968. Quality watches can be had from all the years of Omega; however, if vintage is your sort of thing, then you start looking at watches from the 1900s all the way to the late 1960s. This is where the 'brands' of Omega started popping up, from the Seamaster, to the De Ville and Geneve, Constellations, and of course the holy grail (and most collector's dreams and aspiration) in the Speedmaster. In the 1970s, the 'quartz-wars' and financial downturn occurred, meaning that Omega had to be bailed out with help from the banks and being acquired by the Swatch group. The watches after this period are none the less desirable; however, some tend to have non in-house movements (i.e ETA.)

I'd suggest starting a new thread and asking for recommendations based on your specifics in looking for a watch: for example, is there a certain type you wish to acquire? What's your budget like? Do you need a date/calender/chronograph? As other forum members would say, you will also need to factor in the cost of servicing the watch once you acquire one (and this can be a small or large sum, depending on whether parts are broken/need replacing.)

Hope this helps :)