Forums Latest Members
  1. Otterspeed Apr 1, 2017

Hi all!

First of all, thanks for reading this thread.
    I think I'm the newest (and probably newbiest) member of the Omega Forum at this date.
    Usually I did not have any affinity with older watches but since sometime I came across some types of Seamasters and I absolutely fancied them.
    As we're on the Omega forum, I think some members may can help me with the decision of buying / overhauling (is that even the proper name for it..) & wearing the watch.

I'm having this Seamaster on my mind and willing to buy it. As you may see it is a Seamaster 300M Automatic with reference number 2531.80.00 .

Would really appreciate honest opinions, about the watch, where to service it (prefer somewhere in Amsterdam) and what to replace on the watch.

Kind regards,
    Tom

s-l1600.jpg Schermafbeelding 2017-04-01 om 09.42.19.png Schermafbeelding 2017-04-01 om 09.42.28.png Schermafbeelding 2017-04-01 om 09.43.31.png
  2. Puma Apr 1, 2017

That 2531 looks a bit tired to me. Lume is dirty, the red tip of the second hand is gone. Pictures look like dealer pictures, so the watch has probably been polished. Depends on the price, but these pop up quite often and you can get a minty one for a decent price. I wouldn't buy in this condition unless you like it's "vintage" look albeit the watch itself is not vintage at all...

cheers

Edited Apr 1, 2017
    Otterspeed likes this.
  3. Otterspeed Apr 1, 2017

Thanks for your reply!
    Watch itself is offered for 850 euros in this condition. Your vision on the lume and the second hand got me thinking, in what price perspective am I looking to replace this?

Thanks in advance

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 1, 2017

This is an older tritium dialed version - I have a similar one in the shop right now. It depends on how you view these more modern watches with tritium dials and hands, but my feeling is that these will eventually become collectible. In fact the one I have in the shop the tip of the seconds hand is faded almost totally white, but as per the owner's wishes, all will remain original.

If you do decide to get these parts changed, make sure the watchmaker gives you back the old parts, and tell them to put them in containers so they don't get damaged.

New hands are not expensive from Omega - $50 for all 3. Note that the lume pip in the bezel is also tritium on these early models.

Cheers, Al

Otterspeed likes this.