Seamaster Pro Chronograph - Setting Time

Hi,

I just recently purchased a Seamaster 300 Chrono. This is the first automatic watch I've ever owned. This morning I had to change the date from 29 to 1 as February is a shorter month this year. I set the time to an online reference (7 am) and then placed the watch in the time-zone setting to manually move the hour up until the date changed to 1.

There was a very tactile click for each hour-hand jump through this process. I want to confirm this is normal. The watch moves smoothly and freely when setting the minute hand, but the time-zone function felt and sounded quite different.

Thanks!

Yes, this is normal for the time-zone function. The gearing “jumps” the hour hand in one-hour increments, so you get more tactile feedback.

Your actions were exactley as it should. So do not worry everything is ok. Enjoy your watch!

Yes, this is normal for the time-zone function. The gearing “jumps” the hour hand in one-hour increments, so you get more tactile feedback.

Your actions were exactley as it should. So do not worry everything is ok. Enjoy your watch!

Great, thanks for the replies! That's a relief. I'm still getting used to these watches being a little more rugged than I give them credit for!

Also, you picked a nice, safe time to do the date change. I'm not familiar with your watch calibre specifically, but generally speaking, it's best to set the date outside what some manufacturers call the "Danger Zone", which goes from roughly 20:00 to 04:00.

Also, you picked a nice, safe time to do the date change. I'm not familiar with your watch calibre specifically, but generally speaking, it's best to set the date outside what some manufacturers call the "Danger Zone", which goes from roughly 20:00 to 04:00.

For these time-zone movements, that’s not a problem — one actually has to change the hour hand past midnight to change the date. It’s no different than manually changing the date by hacking the watch and moving moving both the hour and minutes hand past midnight, then resetting.

the danger is on watches with quickset dates — there, you are moving the date wheel in the second position and don’t want to do that when it is already starting to move due to the time.