Forums Latest Members

Seamaster Planet Ocean Helium Release Valve Cover

1. drrichm Oct 21, 2016

Hello-
    I am new to the forum and certainly not a watch pro, so I apologize in advance for any protocol breaches.
    I own a beautiful 2011 Seamaster Planet Ocean, model # 232.32.46.21.01.005. Today I noticed that the cover for the helium release valve is missing!

An online search turned frustrating. It also made me realize that I do not know the case number.

Any suggestions on where I can get this part?

Thanks so much!
    Rich

2. thatonewatchdude Oct 21, 2016

you might have to just have it serviced.

3. drrichm Oct 21, 2016

BTW, this is the response I got from a watch parts company called Esslinger. It is tough to believe I just can't get this part and screw it in!!

>>> Unfortunately, they do not sell just the cover for this and you would have to purchase the button complete. To install you would have to open the watch, remove the movement and then the button, the reassemble when done. I think you should take this to your local jeweler for the repair as when you are dealing with a helium valve it is important to keep the watch water resistant.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2016

Case number is 055CC1681672. However you can't buy just the cap, and the entire valve will need to be replaced. As Esslinger noted this requires the movement to be removed from the case, since the cap screws on from the inside of the case.

Here is a photo showing the view of an HEV from inside the case on an SMP - you can see the screw head there:

[​IMG]

And unscrewed:

[​IMG]

From here the valve body must be removed from the case, which can require heat applied to the case. The new HEV's are not meant to be disassembled, so the entire unit is screwed into the case. This is not a DIY job...

Note that it's possible that the cap simply came unscrewed, but also possible that the screw broke off - without being able to see the end of the screw it would be impossible to tell. You may also have lost the spring and seal that is inside the HEV, so it's quite possible you need more than the cap anyway.

Cheers, Al

5. drrichm Oct 22, 2016

Al-
    Thanks so much for that thorough explanation. It looks like my only choice may be to get ripped off, ummm, I mean serviced by the Omega Service Center. Any other suggestions??

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2016

You could look for an independent watchmaker with a parts account who would be willing to just replace the valve without doing a full service, but given the watch is already 5 years old, it's probably due anyway...

drrichm likes this.