Forums Latest Members

Seamaster planet ocean 600m co-axial chronometer

1. wazzamatelot Nov 6, 2016

Hello everyone,

new member to the forum and new member to the Omega watch owning fraternity!

My new wife (got married 27th October) gave me a Seamaster Planet ocean 600 co-axial chronometer for a wedding gift (lucky boy!) The watch is second hand and approximately 4.5 years old, so I plan on having it fully serviced so that we start at year zero together and some minor wear scratches are removed.

I'm hoping I may be able to find some answers to two questions I have, was told once "there's no such thing as a stupid question" but this may be one, so apologies in advance! I also tried to search the forum for the relevant info but have drawn a blank

I have quite a manual job and don't really fancy ruining my watch wearing it to work on a daily basis and obviously it stops after not being worn after approximately 40 hrs, Will this effect the watch in any way if I only wear it weekends and the odd evening and should I stop the movement by pulling the crown all the way out when it's not in use?

Any advice received with thanks

Wazza

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 6, 2016

I let mine wind down. I only wear it a few times/ month.

panerai_fc and Foo2rama like this.
  3. w.finkenstaedt Nov 6, 2016

It has a 60 hour power reserve, but no it won't hurt the watch to leave it unwound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Nov 6, 2016

It will not hurt to leave the watch unwound, but... Be sure to wind it once you pick it up amd get it at full capacity again. Do not just toss it in and wear it about assuming it will just restore itself. I did this with a Tag fitted with an ETA when I first started this hobby and ended up ruining the main spring. Had to send it in for a service before second year of ownership...

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 7, 2016

Congrats!! On the wedding and the watch!

6. w.finkenstaedt Nov 7, 2016

How did you damage the mainspring by not fully winding it? I've never heard of that before. The mainspring is really just forcing kinetic energy through the gear train to the escapement. If it can be damaged at low power reserve, I'd think that letting your watch fully wind down would inevitably damage every watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. meganfox17 Nov 7, 2016

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. wazzamatelot Nov 7, 2016

Thank you to those that have replied......

Can I ask what your point is Meganfox17? Should I wind it like that or not?

I'm sure I've read that it's wound away from me (clockwise) right? and that it doesn't tighten?

watch.jpg

Here is a photo of my watch, not quite as elegant as some of the vintage ones that members of this forum own - but I'm smitten. Have always aspired to owning an Omega, which is Commander Bond's fault!

Worried I may have been bitten by the bug though......!

Wazza

9. meganfox17 Nov 7, 2016

[​IMG]

10. meganfox17 Nov 7, 2016

11. Kobus Nov 7, 2016

Clockwise and DO NOT worry................... enjoy

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 7, 2016

3313 POC!!! Love it I've got the Orange.