Forums Latest Members

Seamaster missing HE valve . . .

1. eelpie Oct 7, 2015

I have been offered a modern Seamaster in steel, but the HE valve is AWOL.

If the HE valve is unscrewed to its maximum, will it come out? Is the HE valve secured in the tube somehow?

If the valve does not come off when unscrewed, should a new tube and valve fix the problem?

I don't want to get involved with a watch that will require a new case . . .

2. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 7, 2015

Mine all unscrew and stop after 3 or 4 turns. Might be an easy repair, but I would have the seller fix it.

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 7, 2015

Some modern seamasters don't have the Helium release valve . Are you sure it should be there in the first place?

PatrickJ likes this.
  4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 7, 2015

Good point. Is there a hole in the case a little above the 10 o'clock position?

5. eelpie Oct 7, 2015

There's a hole.

It's a 2255.80, steel with polished bezel and blue dial.

6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 7, 2015

I would hold off until you can determine the cost and also if there is any movement damage. Water could have gotten in through the opening. Others may be able to give you an idea of cost.

7. PatrickJ Oct 7, 2015

I would stay well clear

tpatta likes this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 7, 2015

Some bad news, and worse news...

The valve appears to made up of 5 separate pieces

he.jpg

and as far as I could determine, Ofrei doesn't stock one for your particular watch model (but you should do a search yourself). Presumably Omega could/would supply the necessary parts if Omega did the repair.

tpatta likes this.
  9. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 7, 2015

There are a couple listed here by your fellow OF members. Might want to consider an alternative.:cool:

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 7, 2015

No bad news really. It's actually more than 5 pieces (8 pieces generally, and depending on how you count could be 9 pieces), but that is not a problem. I just changed an HEV in a 22558000 a month ago, and parts are certainly still available for this watch to any qualified watchmaker...I have valves for it in stock in my shop since it is used on other watches as well.

The valve missing is not a big problem in itself, but you need to know if moisture entered the case as a result.

You can assume the watch would need a service, new valve installed, and repairs to whatever else might be damaged. So unless you know the condition of the movement, it would be a crap shoot. You could get a deal though if you use the missing valve as a negotiating point...

Cheers, Al

flw and Jones in LA like this.
  11. eelpie Oct 7, 2015

I was just about to post that I had contacted Al and voila, here he is!

The watch is running, though I don't know yet how accurately.

I may be the only guy around here locally who would be interested in restoring it, so that and the missing valve might get it bought right.

And if Al did the service, it would come back from the Great White North as good as new . . .

flw, tpatta and Jones in LA like this.
  12. eelpie Oct 8, 2015

I have just looked at the watch, and if had been running before, it isn't running now.

The bracelet is loose, and in addition to the service, it needs a bezel.

On the up-side, Omega replace the HE valve when a full service is performed.

We're a few bucks apart right now, and in light of current circumstances, I'm going to hold my ground.

And by the way, the watch was originally sold by Jared, and true to form, they included the chronometer card from a different watch . . .

13. Hijak Oct 8, 2015

Unless this is ridiculously cheap (like two or three hundred US), I'm confused as to why you would pursue it...These can, with a little patience, be had for a little over $1000 US in nice condition. Factoring in a full service from Omega (even without parts, which seems unlikely here) will you really be that ahead of the game? Even paying $350 for this and conservatively $600 for a service from Omega, is it worth the risk? I'm not sure it is but this is just my two cents.:)

chickenman26, eelpie and Archer like this.