Forums Latest Members
  1. Tety Jan 3, 2016

Dear forum,
    After some time here on the forum i finally decided to go for my own vintage Omega.
    I found on a webside this Seamaster, Butter unfortunally the other does not want to open the back as he says he is no expert and does not want to destroy something. So now i am here and want to ask your opinions about this watch.
    Should i go for it for 350 Euro?
    The seller claims that the glass was exchanged recently and the watch was serviced (no details to what extend )

Thanks for your help,
    Tety

IMG_4949.JPG IMG_4951.JPG 20150814_154427.jpg 195_-1665148099.jpg
  2. Pvt-Public Jan 3, 2016

I wouldn't, it looks like the dial was redone badly (every letter in OMEGA is a different height), and the case looks to be polished to within an inch of its life. I would look for something better.

3. Dgercp Jan 3, 2016

And how about all that scratching of the dial from 5-7.
    That seamaster text looks like it was scribbled on by a chimpanzee.
    I would hang on to your money.

4. Canuck Jan 3, 2016

I was thinking along the same lines myself about the dial. The part that is a dead giveaway as to a dial refinish is the garish lettering of the OMEGA, the SWISS MADE, and the SEAMASTER! The fine detail on the case has been heavily buffed, and much of the definition is gone. If you were to browse through the images of 1950s vintage Omegas that you will find on the WRUW forum on this MB, you should be able to gain an idea of how a watch in close to original condition should look. Take note of case details, and details of the dials. Look for the crisp edges of better cases. With a heavily buffed case and sub standard dial job, you are taking too much of a chance at €350 without having a look at the mechanism. What's the seller hiding? You might also check out some of the Watches for Sale forums on this MB.

5. arkstfan Jan 3, 2016

Similar watch. Look at the text on the dial vs the questioned watch.
    image.jpeg

6. devnull Jan 3, 2016

JohnSteed and efauser like this.
  7. Canuck Jan 3, 2016

image.jpeg This one is not the same model as the subject watch, and it is a few years newer. But it should give an idea of what an original Omega dial should look like. Be sure to compare the printing on this dial with the printing on the dial of the subject watch!

8. JohnSteed Jan 3, 2016

Can we sticky this somewhere pleeeeeez

Eliminate questions like OP's for 2016 may never happen I guess. But ...

UncleBuck likes this.
  9. JohnSteed Jan 3, 2016

.... Pretty Pleeeeeeeeez :rolleyes:

10. Tety Jan 3, 2016

Thanks for the fast Review. ...and thx for the link to the bad redials really helpful