Forums Latest Members
  1. Kriskris Mar 5, 2016

PSX_20160305_234102.jpg PSX_20160305_234035.jpg PSX_20160305_234015.jpg
  2. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Mar 5, 2016

You need an avatar- just sayin'
    What do you think and what has your research indicated?

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 5, 2016

It's certainly a genuine Omega, however it has been polished heavily.

Not a problem if you aren't a "collector" and just want a wearer, and are willing to pay a very high price for it.

This seller has great photo skills, an unlimited supply of polishing compound and an inflated sense of value.

vintagelady, Tritium and Kriskris like this.
  4. Kriskris Mar 5, 2016

Thanks for the swift response.. avatar sorted.. just sayin'

Garv likes this.
  5. Kriskris Mar 5, 2016

Thanks Jim. Sounds like the price is too high in your opinion and over-polishing is not ideal if I'm interpreting your post correctly? Both fair points. I'm a complete newbie so if you're happy to, could you please elaborate on the polishing? Many thanks.

6. novina Mar 5, 2016

If you are considering collecting vintage watches, than over polishing is definitely a no no. Notice the case, it is shinny and bright, but did it come that way? The edges of of the lugs have been rounded badly, there was a crisp line there at one time. So basically, over polishing removes the original contours of the case. Also I bought a ladies Omega, not a Ladymatic, but a manual wind, paid all of $90 USD. Ever with service and a very light polish and clean, I can be into this watch for less than $400 USD and have a beautiful watch. Note to self, do not buy a watch for the wife unless she picks it out herself, never ends well ::facepalm2::. Good thing it was cheap.

7. Kriskris Mar 5, 2016

Thanks very much for the insight. Good to get a second and a third opinion! Might have to give this one a miss and keep looking. Luckily I'm buying for myself so no risk of the wrong purchase there! Very easy to get carried away though.. Still I'm sure you get brownie points for making the effort to please!
    Thanks again.

8. novina Mar 5, 2016

So if this is for yourself, buy what appeals to you. If you do care about originality, show the forum members here first and you will have a piece vetted by members with very much experience. Woman's Omegas should be much cheaper than a mans Omega simply for the fact that this hobby is driven mostly by men. Therefore, woman's Omegas are not that sort after.

Just a last word of advice. Assume anything you buy, will need a service before you can wear it on a regular basis. This goes especially for an automatic. Even if the seller says it was done, unless they have a receipt with the work done, I would not believe them. Service can be form $100 to $250USD for basic service. More if there are issues.

9. Kriskris Mar 6, 2016

Thank you, I haven't thought about that either so another piece of good advice. Much appreciated!

10. ulackfocus Mar 6, 2016

Overpolished and redialed - pass at any amount, especially the ludicrous asking price of nearly $900!!!!! :eek:

Somebody might buy it due to the PT Barnum Principle.

OMGRLX likes this.