Forums Latest Members
  1. fiirmoth Oct 19, 2017

2. BenBagbag Oct 19, 2017

If the reference is a 165.002 it should be a Seamaster... Either way very expensive for what you are getting.

3. fiirmoth Oct 19, 2017

Thank You, Ben. The number is 165.002. It is higher than what I was looking to pay, but also appears to be in excellent condition. I am going to make an offer a little lower than what he has it listed for. In the world of Breitling/Rolex I am used to so many fakes. I guess counterfeits are not as much of an issue with vintage Omega's as much as just redials/replacement of crystals etc that take away total originality?

4. BenBagbag Oct 19, 2017

Hey,

Google "Omega 165.002" You will see that the word Geneve is not on any of the dials you see. I suspect the dial of the watch you shared belonged to a different watch. I wanted to be a little clearer.

5. fiirmoth Oct 19, 2017

Oh ok, thank you. So its probably a redial then. But the rest, crown/back/movement/case etc all appear to be genuine? I know its not true to the authenticity...but for me I am ok with a redial, as long as the actual watch is an authentic Omega. I would rather it be a redial and look a little nicer than an original that is worn. If it was coming from a grandad or something and had meaning to the wear I would appreciate that, but give that the patina/wear has no meaning or story to me I would rather get one in better condition and let my kids have a story to the wear

6. TropicConnie Oct 19, 2017

It's not a redial - that would be a dial which has been restored (stripped to bare metal, and re-painted and sealed). It's an original Omega dial, but it does not belong on this model. The problem here is that the case is not a Geneve, and the dial is not a Seamaster. I feel that is should hurt the value about the same as if it were a repainted but correct dial.

7. peire06 Oct 19, 2017

8. Lucasssssss Oct 19, 2017

9. fiirmoth Oct 19, 2017

thank you Peire and Lucas. I am glad to see that maybe it is a correct dial? Either way I dont know that it would bother me. As long as it is all genuine and in good condition. I am not looking for resale as much as an authentic piece that will look nice and last me a lifetime. To me thats like putting 57 chevy headlights on 55 chevy. Its still a 55 chevy and if it looks good then go for, although I do understand the impact to value given that its not 100% original assuming the face isnt. @Lucas...I did see that one but I was wary of it coming from Romania and I would prefer one that is all silver. That one does look to be in excellent condition though. Thank you for pointing it out!!

10. peire06 Oct 19, 2017

Fiirmoth, even though I found few Geneve online, if I were to bet I would say that it is actually a Seamaster.

If I were you I would wait and check other watches. US$750 is too expensive for that model. I am sure you will find yourself a much better deal.

Good luck in your search!

Peire06

11. BenBagbag Oct 19, 2017

Good research. Could be as you say. But all of those have shared have a 552 movement... It doesn't all line up.

12. fiirmoth Oct 19, 2017

Sounds like it might be a bit of a Frankenstein. Thank you all for your input and advice. I really appreciate the help!!

13. TropicConnie Oct 19, 2017

It would be very interesting to know if it did indeed come from the factory like that.

"The 'Geneve' Seamasters were a blurring of the product lines by Omega in the late 60s, possibly as a method of utilising up old dial stock. Many examples were badged Geneve on the dial or sometimes Geneve Seamaster. Many conspiracy theories are offered as to the authenticity of these but they are quite genuine, original and correct."

14. fiirmoth Oct 19, 2017

Thank you, Connie!! what is the source of that?

15. fiirmoth Oct 19, 2017

So in light of all of this... it might be a totally original watch? but either way its all authentic it sounds like. So what would you think is a fair price. The member on here is asking $680 for the link posted by Lucas...this one seems to be in the same condition I just prefer the color. Is there a reason other than price to steer clear? Also, does anyone have links to a reference guide for movements, dials, etc for Omega's? I read through all the sticky's and they give really general information on what to look for but not a guide to help me understand the details like these movements only belong in these models during these years. Or the differences between models etc. Any reference links that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Edited Oct 19, 2017
  16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 19, 2017

fiirmoth likes this.
  17. BenBagbag Oct 19, 2017

I stand corrected!

18. Edward53 Oct 20, 2017

The crown is genuine but a service replacement and not the type this watch originally had. It is far too big and IMO ugly for the watch and completely the wrong style. The movement is a 17-jewel 550 made for the US market to minimise customs duties, perfectly legit but the Geneve normally contained a 21-jewel 552 movement. For that money I'd want an all-original 552. You can afford to be fussy with Geneves as they are not rare and not nearly as desirable as Seamasters. Personally I would let this one go and wait for a better one.

19. mikechi22 Oct 20, 2017