Forums Latest Members
  1. mm0070 Jul 11, 2017

Hello Everyone,

I bought an Omega Seamaster watch and I need some help identifying it. It's supposed to be 70s Seamaster, it's for my father's 50th birthday.

I was wondering if you'd be able to tell what year is it from and if it's genuine?
    Here's a link to an imgur album with all the photos I took: http://imgur.com/a/tYJTP
    And here's a link to ebay listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-O...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I can't take a photo of the back cover inside as I don't have the tools to open it.

Please help,

Kind Regards,
    Michal

2. chipsotoole Jul 11, 2017

hi there,
    it looks to be about right. I'd put it at around 71-73. the 1012 movements are pretty good and I think are hi-beat 28000 (?). The case has been well over polished and the bracelet seems to be original. I think it must be a redial to be in that overall condition, they tend to lose colour at the edges and go a bit cloudy over the decades. I have a blue one that's starting to fade.. NOS dials for 1012 movements seem to be plentiful and that's what this looks like here.
    I can't remember if the 1012 was one of the last in-house movements or if Omega had already farmed out the work by the time this showed up.
    I think you might have paid a little over the odds for it..but as it is a present I'm sure the old man will be pleased with it.

3. mm0070 Jul 11, 2017

Thank you, I was getting a little bit worried because I couldn't find a photo of any similar Seamaster. This is very helpful.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 11, 2017

Hi Michal,
    That is a very lovely intent to buy a watch for your father's birthday.

I'm not an expert on Omega vintage watches, especially from that era, but until others chime in I would say there is no question the parts are all genuine Omega parts, but the question you need to figure out is whether those parts belong together.

And in order to do so, you need to get it opened to obtain a picture of the inside of the case back.

You'll notice the seller's other listing includes such a picture, while yours does not.
    Why?
    http://www.ebay.fr/itm/VINTAGE-OMEG...881401?hash=item2388bc0f39:g:jlsAAOSw~FJZJwN1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

Since you just bought the watch and have a 14 days inspection period you need to get it to a professional to open it up for you, so you can take very clear (legible) pictures of the movement and its serial number, and a very clear picture of the inside of the case back with all of the inscriptions.
    That should allow you to check the reference, and verify on line that your watch is correct for the reference.
    Also there's a feature on Omega's website which should allow you to use the serial number to obtain some information.

In order to get your watch opened, you need to go to a professional watchmaker.
    Do not just go to some random jeweler or to the people who change watch batteries.
    They might damage the back of the watch.

Best regards,
    S

5. mm0070 Jul 11, 2017

Thank you, I will make sure to do that.

6. mm0070 Jul 11, 2017

Also, the listing you've mentioned - looks like 166.0174 is Geneve, not Seamaster, so is it possible that this watch is actually a Seamaster in Geneve's case? Because it looks pretty much the same, the only difference being the face color. I will try to find someone to open it up and see what's inside anyway.

7. j.allen Jul 12, 2017

Just a thought, the 'O' appears too circular in the logo and the top of the A too pointed. However I do not know all of the font variants.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 12, 2017

A bit hard to tell when the shot is at an angle and the important bits are obscured by the hands.

To the OP, try to take a photo absolutely square into the dial with the hands at 10:10.

I sense a redial but need decent pics to determine the facts.